First impression .
It's similar but different
Usspa 2

More zing and grunge.
More muscle
Less delicate and smooth less airy .
More bass especially upper bass

Better for jazz .rock .
More slow and heavy .which bring out the swing and groove.
3d . Stage ..is there . But I think there is a slight difference in stage size and presentation .will see later

Quite similar to the impression I got from my friend

Input change to 100p that's a good move .more lively

I like it ! Good to have both.
I'll have more in a month or two .

Chiao

Last edited:
IMG-20200223-WA0021.jpeg
IMG-20200223-WA0023.jpeg

Lt1963/3015

Wider deeper higher Soundstage. No frills. Smoother sound
Studer 900 more mascular. Hint of pro audio sound. If u use this... Pre burn in 72 hrs before final setting. Sound a touch quieter
200ma per channel

OK! About 200 hours of burn in.

I plug into the more clearer and better system (I got 2 listening areas) to have a listen. I'm familiar with the setup so should be decent review

the initial impressions is correct.

Just additional note.
The depth is clearer with usspa 1
Sound is neater and true with usspa 1 better instrument distance
Width usspa 1 better

If after accuracy clarity smoothness .listen to classical and acoustics alot. Version 1

If after grunt. body and weight, listen to more rock. Audiophile version 2. If room is small this will shine more (3m wide or shorter)

If you ask me which is more special.. Usspa 1 is more hi end, the wall dissappear more in a bigger room

Also.. Lt 1963 is still champion. Sounds better.

Last note.. 18v is slightly better than 15v

Last edited:
The caps also I had one set of poly and 10uf bypass smd at breakoff so should be fairly similar just some difference in tone, supply is also similar . Solder also similar .

Usspa 1 is more overview we see everything

Usspa 2 is more spotlight you feel into the music more

Does that make sense to you?

Dominic,

Studer.. I won't recommend the kit.. Not very stable. Sound is ok. Sound wise.. It's not better than LT.

I much prefer your recommendation of Sigma22. That's still worth the effort VS musicality.

Also I'm building walt jung super regulator just to take a look. But ad817 based.. I hate tweaking and going round and round.. Just some surefire method.

Build alternatives that works besides the BOM

Our 2 cents.

Gate resistors carbon film
Voltage resistors {4.7 and 10 ohm} mox
Feedback resistor 22 ohm 150 ohm carbon film
Output R 100 resistors carbon
Input filter 220pf. For sanken use 100pf polystyrene or silver mica. Polystyrene works best.

Match your resistors

Result in much more bloom and musical. Similar to tubes more warm and Airy, thicker mids, natural hi if that's your taste.

Original parts more accurate cleaner tone.

Power supply recommended

Lt 1963/3015
Lm723 types
Sigma 22
Havent tried but walt super regulator should be great. Building now.

Use only good quality leaded solder without silver. Soldering temp 330 to 350 deg c, very important with temperature.. Over that it sound bleached out. Under that sound sharp and vague.{we had others made this mistake}. Wait at least 450 hours to see good results. It's how it eventually sounds thats important. We seem many case this turn to crap.

Try to use a bigger heat sink!
Bias it 130ma and higher. More smooth and airy. Max 200 ma so far no issues, everything will sound fuller.

If build more than 1.. If you want something different and more tube like . This is alternative.

Most important have fun

Just for fun and for a bit of praticing doing board layouts I've done my (virtual) version of the USSPA... With LDOVR.com LT3045/LT3094 onboard and MELF-resistors - mounted on both sides of the board and with clear PGND-area and SGND-star. Boardsize 76,2cm x 69,2cm :deerman:

(no, I won't provide production files...)

Attachments

• USSPA2.jpg
    USSPA2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
It's system dependant as well.

If the source is sub par.. Korg B1 will sound better, it's also very interesting because controlling the H2 can control Alot of sound character. Example neg 1.h2. Darkest background, deepest stage. It will make a bland system sound better. My buddy made a 2 stage single ended jfet.. Guess what... Very similar basically to korg B1 and B1. To a certain extend it shapes the sound but 1 pick korg B1 for this topology as flexibility to change H2 easily

But if source is good... Usspa is better, As it doesn't really impart a much of a color of its own. Highest bandwidth dymanic range. It's the least boring to listen to in the long run. And it have a wow.. I never hear this detail in the recording factor. It's like bareback horse riding you feel everything, it throws the hugest image which is a plus for me

Both is better for me than tubes only. The advantage is the triode character.. Which is only good for softening up a stiff sounding system..I get bored and won't last long in rotation

Last edited: