Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2020, 10:20 AM   #231
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Europe
diyAudio Member

I started a survey to check how many would like to get the UGS4 together with the new batch of UGS-Muses.

UGS-muse preamp GB
Old 10th February 2020, 11:50 AM   #232
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneminde View Post
Okay, lets address the things you point out.

1. There are many projects that start out with the design and the volume wheel and display's is the essence of this preamp.
2. I am not an engineer at heart, I am a designer. Since my vision of this preamp did not exist I had to enter the engineering level which is challenging with no prior experience and only having looked at electronics on the surface. To be fare, I've gotten som help along the way which is worth its weight in gold.
3. There where 2-3 preamps I knew about which looked good and it was a matter of selecting which one and the MUSES won, so the guts wasn't completely empty when I started this thread.
4. This project is mostly for myself but was opened up to does who are interested and therefore kept open source, but I did not cap it at a specific time frame due to not know when I would be able to fully realize it.
5. I struggle from time to time with other issues in life which is of such a nature I do not expose it to this public forum due to it being a private matter.
6. I realize there are people who would like to see this project come to fruition as much as me, but since there are certain elements that prevent me from moving forward at a more rapid pace, all I can do is wait and use the pause button from time to time.
7. Being yelled at for not following someone else time frame or potential to see projects through within a fairly short time window does not help. I am fully aware of the fact that for the time being this project is considered a failure and that is out of my control.
8. I am not wealthy and have to financially priorities how I spend my money which is one of the reasons the development is very slow for the time being.

9. I am done defending myself. If I am alone in working on this project, so be it. I will work on it when I can and unless someone else join me in designing the electronics and PCB's, I can only do so according to what I have explained in this reply.

Its not like the audio market or diya community have no other preamp to choose from. But in hindsight, creating this thread could have waited, I do agree on that part and I would have waited if I knew the time frame would be dragged out.
Oneminde,

Pay no attention to the naysayers. There will always be those that point out how you should do it, and the process behind your approach. I've been following this project with interest since I wasn't a builder of v1 back in the day.

I've been zeroing in on some of the parts you've mentioned thus far and trying to collect them a little at a time. Would you have the exact specs on the Hammond 229D xformer yet?

Thanks for your dedication and progress so far on this project. Progress is progress - even if it seems slow at times.
Old 10th February 2020, 12:33 PM   #233
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your kind comment

First, lets answer your question. There are two options: The 24VA 28V@850ma model 229C56 or the 48VA 28V @ 1.7A model 229D56. 1 per chn, so 2 in total.
Then the plan is to pair them with the The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply.

For the 5vdc supply, the intention is to use Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator.

The PSU section is independent of the amplification section so we should be good there.
When it comes to the front end, that too is independent of the amplification section, so my idea is still a go even if the the time window of completion is yet not set.

Now, with the new UGS-Muses GB, I can only urge followers of this thread to jump on that opportunity.

That's where things stand atm, but this story is by far over. I'm a bit stuck atm but as soon as things start clearing up later this year, I will continue working on this project.
Old 26th March 2020, 12:05 PM   #234
diyAudio Member

Thought I would share my design which I did last night for the original UGS Muses.
Found some inspiration while surfing the net. The ideas for the volume wheel will carry over for that smooth feeling, the rest is true to the UGS Muses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UGS MUSES ASSEMBLY v1.jpg (138.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg UGS MUSES ASSEMBLY v2.jpg (815.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 26th March 2020, 12:13 PM   #235
fencki is offline fencki  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thought I would share my design which I did last night for the original UGS Muses.
Found some inspiration while surfing the net. The ideas for the volume wheel will carry over for that smooth feeling, the rest is true to the UGS Muses.

pay attantion if you want to use 2 OLED displays, the display will get bigger...
i think your rendering reffers to use only 1 display.
Old 26th March 2020, 12:16 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencki View Post
pay attantion if you want to use 2 OLED displays, the display will get bigger...
i think your rendering reffers to use only 1 display.
That is the plan, to use the Noritake VFD - added an orange effect since I want that (gel film)
Old 28th March 2020, 02:27 AM   #237
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That front panel looks gorgeous! The 'gun barrel' gray set is beautiful.
Old 28th March 2020, 12:09 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
That front panel looks gorgeous! The 'gun barrel' gray set is beautiful.
The "gun barrel" gray is an effect of low light + backlight to show the display an power on led. So not an actual color

I'm still torn between using American Black Walnut or Ash.

UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier.Hide this!Advertise here!