UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier

I did post the overall concept I was going for earlier in the thread, which would have used an optical solution and an index wheel. Two diodes are used and which one of them gets blocked first determines if the volume was increasing or decreasing. This seemed at the time to be be the simplest solution, and it may still be. Just because I am moving over to a different platform (RTP3) doesn't mean the attenuation section have to die.

On the other hand, premium mechanical latching rotary attenuators (Seiden) have another strong appeal. There is a simple modification one can do which turns the Seiden into an encoder with infinite number of rotations and by using a "cleverly" design digital interface, one can have both a mechanical feel and digital control of the relay's with a remote.

The sum of this is that while you have a finite amount of steps in the resistive ladder or transformer windings section, say 24 steps. Because you are interfacing with a digital relay controller, the position of the mechanical attenuator in relationship to the digital or relay position doesn't matter.

Because ofc I am going with autoformer/transformer based volume attenuation

The mechanical attenuation actually leave room for a big wheel with a display in the center, that doesn't have to change. Going for a tube based preamplifier calls for a mechanical and latching attenuator, in my mind. But while one are at it, add some digital communication and the convenience of a remote.

Attachments

• UGS MUSES Scion volume & display principle.jpg
    UGS MUSES Scion volume & display principle.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Luxman-CL1000-4.jpg
    Luxman-CL1000-4.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited: