Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier.
UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2019, 11:43 AM   #191
Adams_Leo is offline Adams_Leo  China
diyAudio Member

do we consider the EIZZ RCA connecter?It is good parts for the audio device.

Best Regards
Leo
Old 7th October 2019, 12:54 PM   #192
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

If budget is no object why not eschew the wretched RCA connector completely and use gold plated BNCs or similar? Ground connecting before signal is so much more civilized. You can get gold plated RCA-BNC adapters.
Old 7th October 2019, 04:12 PM   #193
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Sure, I can consider BNC instead of RCA. After all, professional audio use BNC instead of RCA. Why RCA has maintained its wide dominance for home AV equipment is beyond me. The one thing that "worries" me is difference in resistance between an RCA and BNC. I see BNC has primarily two resistance values, 50 and 75 ohm. Producers of RCA connectors typically do not mention impedance for RCA connectors.

On another note. I hade a conversation with a good friend of me who have been building amps etc. for many years. He helped a friend with his equipment and mentioned that between some WBT and Cardas RCA connetors, the Cardas sounded better. So we had a conversation about the sound. When it comes to conductors - be that cable or connector - I deal with 3 factors: Capacitance, Inductance and Resistance, that's it. All 3 can be seen as resistance which impede the flow of current. Meaning, a connector or cable will always lower the signal integrity compared to what the source puts out, it can never add some magical substance to the signal (audiophoolery). In the end, we are looking at choosing a connector and cable that has the least amount of the 3 factors.

Back to my friend. If both WBT and Cardas use pure copper, the difference in sound has to be sourced back to one of the connectors having one of the 3 factors a bit lower than the other. If the material is equal, then the reduction factor must be found somewhere els. But strangely enough, WBT use copper and Cardas use eutectic Brass. Copper is a better conductor and should maintain better signal integrity. So the difference in sound and the difference can be debated, but is best measured.

I contacted Elecaudio because I wanted to know what they meant by "Copper alloy". Since Brass and Bronze are considered a copper alloy, my suspicions were that the general material used in the ER-110 RCA connector is brass - they replied.

Quote:
Hello,
Thank you for your interest of our products.
Our ER-110 are made of brass / phosphorus bronze. And not only pure copper.
It is indeed copper alloy, because in brass or bronze phosphorus, there is a part of copper.
I then spent some time going over Cardas and Neutrik and indeed, contact material is brass or phosphor bronze. A quick search XLR which use copper as the contact material and EIZZ and Viborg pop up as alternatives.

So to sum things up, the most common contact material is brass, and ofc one can debate wether or not the small amount of material used really matter. If one didn't know which material is used and one do a blind test between different materials, would one be able to tell which is better (?)
Old 7th October 2019, 07:26 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Default RCA becomes BNC.

OBS.
I've had some time to consider the signal infrastructure since Mark Tillotson commented using BNC instead of RCA is better. Since I will build most if not all of the audio equipment, I can just go ahead and select XLR & BNC as the only connectivity I will use, but keep in mind that this does not affect you who which to build a UGS MUSES Scion preamplifier. We will move forward with panel mount connectors only, meaning you are free to choose BNC or RCA and model / manufacturers at your hearts content. The motherboard does not care.

I will collect some info on my personal choices for the XLR and BNC and publish it in a post soon.

Oneminde
Old 7th October 2019, 11:10 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

I will mostly use XLR in my system so that is the dominant solution. I have provided the selection in attached images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BNC and Cable.jpg (538.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg XLR and Cable.jpg (364.9 KB, 152 views)

UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier.Hide this!Advertise here!