Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2019, 03:08 PM   #121
Oneminde is online now Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If one has not encountered the Tact Millennium amp, its difficult to grasp why the volume wheel leaves such a huge impact. But it was a unicorn in that regard.
Old 20th August 2019, 01:09 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Default Oh my ...

FYI, I am currently working on the much needed component overhauling because trust me, it is needed. While I stand behind the schematic or architecture, I certainly do not stand behind the passive component selection, my comment to that is . I am certainly not done, it will take a few days to map out the replacement components but I have a good grasp of what's what. I am not an engineer by trade, but the past days have teached me a few things which is in direct conflict with the decisions made for the UGS MUSES. While measurements was done - thinking of Ine's version - and it is good, it is certainly not the best performance we can squeeze out of this unit. Either the engineers thought "this is good enough and will conform to a low budget" or they didn't think it true. A third option is they were totally unaware about the different levels and quality figures the different classes represent in terms of signal integrity in the amplifiers operating range - temperature as well as gain area.

I am, to be honest, a bit disappointed. But no matter, things will change and improve with the newer version. Because of this, there will be a noticeable acoustical difference between the two versions. The article I am working on which I will publish in a few days should be viewed as an introduction to what to expect of the final version. I am releasing it is as a teaser and preparation, but it should not under any circumstance be used as your shopping cart. The real shopping cart will be released when the project is fully realized which is months away.

My underlying reason for the component overhaul is not only so that the performance is as close to an ideal as possible, but also because this preamplifier (or Line Stage) has the potential to be a top contender and can easily last a few decades before a replacement becomes a concern. It does not contain a D/A converter or any form of media player and is therefore completely immune against changes in the digital domain or power amplifier domain. That is enough reasons to give it the best start and potential from the get go.

To does who love jumping on the next project as soon as possible and therefore focus on a budget friendly and very average or mediocre performance, turn around now - you might not like the cost of this unit once all parts have been collected. On the other hand, if you are like me and see a huge potential in the UGS MUSES architecture, by all means stick around.

To me at least, the UGS MUSES Scion can certainly be an End Game preamplifier for I do not have an itch to look for the next new thing - that is reserved for D/A converters and power amplifiers.

Oneminde
Old 20th August 2019, 09:31 AM   #123
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Oh my .....

Looking forward to the article.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:49 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

More resistor stuff, again from Brewster LaMacchia, with a hint of humor and Audiophoolery warning ..

TEARDOWN 2019: Resistor Noise in Audio: The Sound of Angels Dancing on the Head of a Pin.

YouTube
Old 20th August 2019, 11:38 PM   #125
aspringv is offline aspringv  Australia
diyAudio Member

This makes me want to buy a metal lathe and make amazing volume knobs.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:42 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
This makes me want to buy a metal lathe and make amazing volume knobs.
Two years later has a collection on the wall with different stereo front, UI layouts and volume wheel sizes, weight etc... but no stereo .. LMAO

UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier.Hide this!Advertise here!