Line Level Pad Placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My goal in creating a single preamp component is to gain match the inputs. To that end I am building a 10dB gain stage for my phono section, and I will need to somehow incorporate a pad in the DAC chain which will be a B1 Buffer of some variety. My DAC has an output of >2V to my power amp’s input sensitivity of 1V. Is there a good, clean and proven way to accomplish this?

Joined 2011
My DAC has an output of >2V to my power amp’s input sensitivity of 1V.

After the DAC, add a two resistor 6dB attenuator. A couple of 5k metal film
resistors should do it, one in series, and one in shunt. If your volume control
is 25k or more, this should be fine. You can trim the shunt resistor to match
the phono gain exactly, but different recordings will vary about as much,
or more, than the remaining gain difference.

Last edited:
After the DAC, add a two resistor 6dB attenuator. A couple of 5k metal film
resistors should do it, one in series, and one in shunt. If your volume control
is 25k or more, this should be fine. You can trim the shunt resistor to match
the phono gain exactly, but different recordings will vary about as much, or more.

Thank you for the reply. If I’m understanding correctly, at both RCA input sockets, I would solder a 5k to both the signal and ground tabs, then connect the free ends of both resisters to my signal wire to the input of the B1 circuit, and also run my ground wire from the ground tab to the B1 circuit. If I explained what’s in my head correctly.

Joined 2011
at both RCA input sockets, I would solder a 5k to both the signal and ground tabs, then connect the free ends of both resisters to my signal wire to the input of the B1 circuit, and also run my ground wire from the ground tab to the B1 circuit.

I assume this refers to the RCA sockets for the DAC input, that are connected to the selector switch.
That would do it. Keep the leads fairly short, and don't allow them to touch anything else.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.