LDR Pre MkII - LDR volume control and I/O switching

Sorry folks, there has been an error in how to do a hardware mod on your displays. You MUST NOT pull DC to VCC, otherwise you will set I2C address to 0x3D, and firmware looks for 0x3C. So the correct instructions are below:

R4 - remove
R3, R5, R7 - 0R (short with blob of solder)
RES - connect to VCC with 10K resistor (pullup)
RES - connect to GND with 10uF cap (keeps RES low during display power up)

Sorry folks, there has been an error in how to do a hardware mod on your displays. You MUST NOT pull DC to VCC, otherwise you will set I2C address to 0x3D, and firmware looks for 0x3C. So the correct instructions are below:

R4 - remove
R3, R5, R7 - 0R (short with blob of solder)
RES - connect to VCC with 10K resistor (pullup)
RES - connect to GND with 10uF cap (keeps RES low during display power up)

Thank You for the update !!!!!!!!

Powered up and calibrated but im going to get some clips for the ldrs I just could not get a proper hold of them.

Paul

So after 2 days of testing ( and working great) I woke up this morning and I noticed the unit was frozen up so I rebooted now the screen sometimes lights up with garbage or with one or two lines showing and no ir response. I have my new oled coming maybe thats the issue Im not sure.

So after a little bench testing I swear its the oled, if i turn on the unit (hold down play button)with garbage on screen the relays chatter (sometimes)if i remove the oled I can hear the unit turn on and i can cycle through inputs ( relays switching tested with DMM) without any issues. Voltages seem fine 5vdc across all inputs and it works (its actually usable) except for oled not coming on.Tried a capacitor across D, nothing. Oh well I guess its just a waiting game for now.

Hi Zdr

I have been using my ldr mk2 for the past 2 months now and it is going well but. When I compare to my previous ldr, this one has a higher noise floor. Are there any modifications I can do to try and lower the noise floor? I am guessing it may be dac/arduino noise coming through the system. I just tried moving the power supply away from the main board but that made no difference. I did also add 1000uf capacitors to each of the 3 5v power supply output terminals but that didn't do much either.

Hi Zdr

When I havent got any music and turn the volume up on the LDR then the noise floor increases. I have made this a little bit better by connecting my metal chassis to the 0v dc point at the power supply board. It is worst between 25-49 level of volume but when it reaches 50, the noise disappears. My mains supply is 50Hz so I was thinking maybe the arduino can be programmed to reject this 50Hz noise somehow?

In the original thread forum member "nikosokey" had same problems as I have. That is he was getting noise. This is seen here
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ana...urce-selection-controller-50.html#post4849058
You did actuaally reply to him zdr.
Nikosokey says he did fix his noise problem by connecting chassis gnd(earth) to 0v power supply gnd. Which is what I have done as well.

Mains frequency hum will almost certainly be there on most amplifiers and preamplifiers in varying amount depending on the quality of the power supply/filters/circuit etc.

I ask you to do this. turn your amplifier and ldr on then with your ear to your speaker start to turn the volume on the ldr passive pre up. You will hear the noise floor through your speakers when it is turned up right. This is the noise I am talking about. I find it is loudest between ldr volume levels 25-48 (gradually increasing) then when it reaches 50(max) the noise floor I did hear suddenly "dissapears". Can someone explain why this happens?
Now lets show some FFT plots I have done.

This is without the chassis to ov/gnd connected. We can easily see a high 50Hz Harmonic as well as a fairly high 3rd harmonic as well. Not to mention all the other harmonics in there.
lightspeed2 14-8 original.png

So now the chassis to ov is connected and it is looking much better. The 50Hz has dropped and alot of other noise is also decreased. 3Khz (3rd) harmonic is still higher than 2nd harmonic 2KHz.
lightspeed2 14-8 frame to ps.png

Here is my signal generator only. 3rd order harmonics are lower than the 2nd order here.
Sig gen only 1Khz.png

Some more distortion graphs.

This 1st pic is using my 1st ldr passive pre by "Rudi" as shown in this thread
Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp
THD - 0.073% This volume level is equivalent to around around 44 on the new ldr attenuator(zdr type).
lightspeed 1 15-08.png

Now the next few pics are with the second smarter ldr as shown in this current thread.
Volume level 9. THD-0.29% although it is not really heard at this low volume.
lightspeed 2 15-08 vol 09.png

Volume level=35 This is loud and about the level I play my music at
lightspeed 2 15-08 vol 35.png

Volume = 44. This is the level I was testing when you can see the 1KHz harmonic at -30db
lightspeed 2 15-08 vol 44.png

Vol=48 We can see THD dropping as we near the maximum volume.
lightspeed 2 15-08 vol 48.png

Vol=49 Distortion lowering more.
lightspeed 2 15-08 vol 49.png

Vol=50 Maximum volume. Now is when I hear no noise on my speakers. Also distortion is only THD- 0.011% and also now 3rd harmonic is lower than the 2nd harmonic.
lightspeed 2 15-08 vol 50 max.png

A thing to note before people ask. These measurement were done with only my signal generator connected to a ldr passive pre (old or new type) and then to my behringer mic mixer/sound card as shown on this thread by xrk971.
Howto - Distortion Measurements with REW