Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Running TV analog out to a simple class D amp
Running TV analog out to a simple class D amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2019, 12:27 AM   #1
disorder is offline disorder  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Running TV analog out to a simple class D amp

Sorry if this isn't the right spot. I didn't see TV's listed in any of these source forums. I have an old Vizio TV with basic analog audio out via the red/white RCA cables. I was kind of bummed to find out that the volume control on the TV effects the level of this output signal. I know, I know... it's probably so you can still use your TV remove to set volume. However I would have liked basic line level audio. This leaves me wondering how should I balance the volume on the TV with the volume control on the amp (Tripath TA2021 Class D). The amp feeds a Bose Acoustimass 3 Series III setup. Should I max the amp and set the TV accordingly? Or start with both at 50% and adjust TV from there?
Old 12th February 2019, 05:38 AM   #2
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder View Post
Sorry if this isn't the right spot. I didn't see TV's listed in any of these source forums. I have an old Vizio TV with basic analog audio out via the red/white RCA cables. I was kind of bummed to find out that the volume control on the TV effects the level of this output signal. I know, I know... it's probably so you can still use your TV remove to set volume.
It might be possible to un-tie the TV volume control from the RCA outputs, to let RCA's output what they should... .a constant 150mV or so. Look in the TV settings / audio settings.

Quote:
However I would have liked basic line level audio. This leaves me wondering how should I balance the volume on the TV with the volume control on the amp (Tripath TA2021 Class D). The amp feeds a Bose Acoustimass 3 Series III setup. Should I max the amp and set the TV accordingly? Or start with both at 50% and adjust TV from there?
if you don't get lucky in TV settings => then, it really depends on how clean (from pops/clicks during a TV turn ON <-> turn OFF) that RCA output is... I'd bypass the volume control in Tripath and wire RCA outs straight to the Tripath's first stage of amplification. Dangerous, but it would give the best sound.

Last edited by Extreme_Boky; 12th February 2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 12:43 PM   #3
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

If you disconnect the TV speaker, you can adjust both volumes for the least hiss. That is what I do.
The sound out of this new Samsung flat screen is vile. No RCA out of this, only patented optical out compatible only with Samsung's $190 sound bar. So I have a tuner from Newark, $39, which has RCA jacks out for audio. Then I feed the TV video with the Yellow RCA jack. With RCA splitters I can feed both and turn the TV sound up if I want, but the TV delays sound about 1/5 second compared to the signal from the tuner.
I don't guess this trick would work with a cable box, but I don't intend to pay $80 a month for commercials. PBS that I watch is broadcast over the air .

Last edited by indianajo; 12th February 2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12th February 2019, 01:29 PM   #4
leadfinger is offline leadfinger  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello indianjo,
I just installed a Samsung 7100 series tv for my sister. I used the tv optical digital output into a SMSL Q5 amplifier from Parts Express. In tv sound setup you have to change the digital out from bitsream to pcm in two places. Once you do this it works perfect. The tv digital out is fixed, the tv volume does not control it.
Old 12th February 2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Since its old it might have audio out via scart connection. Then you would only need a scart to phono adapter

Running TV analog out to a simple class D ampHide this!Advertise here!