What can I buy or build as a crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just completed building the Elekit TU-8200 and it's a joy. However I have a very good sub-woofer going to waste. So I need a crossover to go before the amp that would peel off the bass signal (selectable by me), and feed it to another amp and the sub woofer ?
Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Well, this is going to take a bit more thought than I had imagined.
The source is either a CD player or a turn table.
The sub woofer is an older SVS. As I looked at the back looking for a model number, I was surprised. It's a big beast, maybe 4' tall, and 16" diameter. The back panel has what looks to be crossover and amplifier controls. So, I will have to dig out the manual if I can find it or call them to see if they still have one.
Failing that, I will post a picture of the controls here and see what you make of it.

Thanks

The source is either a CD player or a turn table.

Then Behringer DCX2496 or DXB Driverack (series).

The back panel has what looks to be crossover and amplifier controls.

I suspect that crossover was designet to properly align with in-series top speaker, so you’ll be unable to properly align sub and different custom woofer without additional external filter.

Yes, it will work and produce sound, but probably new setup could achieve better sounding.

And here is the control panel of the sub-woofer.
SVS says that I can hook the up as I want.

Attachments

• SubWoofer.JPG
    SubWoofer.JPG
    682.5 KB · Views: 110
SVS says that I can hook the up as I want.

Ok. What will be the phase difference between classical vented sub having 2-nd order Butterworth envelope filter tuned to 100 Hz and classical vented top having 2-nd order Butterworth envelope filter tuned to 100 Hz at 90 and 110 Hz?
What will be the sum of produced volume of both at 100 Hz?

No, man. They could says what they want, but you must know what you need and understand how you could achieve that.

It seems that everything that you need is there ! One thing you might do is to change the input capacitor of your amplifier. I see there is 100nF before the tube grid, and 250 kΩ. You can lower that value in order to take the cut-off frequency corner higher, following the formula F=1/2πRC. I guess that from 10 n to 47 nF you can "cut" some bass. The problem is to feed both amplifiers ( the stereo mains and the mono inside the subwoofer ) with the signal exiting from the TT or CD: usually a preamplifier has the "power" to do it: it means that its output impedance is low so any load can be put at its output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.