Studio Speakers Connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys, i would like to seek your advice regarding some connection dilemma. I am connecting from my CDP(RCA) to Yamaha HS8 Studio Speakers. The speakers able to receive XLR and TRS connections. I have 2 methods to choose from, 1) CDP(RCA) to SPK(XLR), 2) CDP(RCA) to SPK(TRS).

My question is which connection methods yields better sound? Thanks for reading. :)

No difference in sound as long as the cables are wired correctly.

Attachments

• unbalanced to balanced cable.gif
    unbalanced to balanced cable.gif
    26 KB · Views: 91
The XLR and TRS jacks are generally wired in parallel and as such electrically equivalent; choose whichever you prefer. I like the handling of XLR better but unless you have some of these awful combo jacks (where the TRS portion is likely to have you cursing :headbash:), both are going to be OK.

Here's another variation on an RCA to XLR cable from Neumann; note that their speakers are outfitted with a ground lift feature to disconnect pin 1 if necessary.
attachment.php

As a further refinement, if source output impedance is known (got some service docs?), you could replicate that and insert it in series with the pin 3 (cold) wire at the RCA end, for further improved common-mode rejection.

Note that you generally have to solder up cables like these yourself (and I'd guess most folks around here would be OK with that); I am not aware of anyone making them for some strange reason. A solution using all off-the-shelf cabling gets a bit more complicated. (One example: 2x RCA to TS cable --> Behringer HD400 --> 2x TRS to XLR cable.)

On another note, it seems that full output power can be achieved with as little as -10dBu input; since you have up to about 2 Vrms available I'd set the level control to +4 dB (+4 dBu = 1.55 Vrms) or a bit below as a starting point. I am assuming that the CD player is a model with an integrated volume control, like a higher-end Sony from the early '90s?

Attachments

• neumann-rca-xlr.png
    neumann-rca-xlr.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.