Merlin M -- Anyone recognize this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw this at the flea market today. It has two phono jack inputs and two outputs. Also a toggle switch to switched between battery and AC power. I guess the AC power charges the internal battery which you can switch to. Seems like it is a Phono stage, is it? I don't see a place for ground wire to screw down to. I should of taken a photo of the back and shared with you all.

I offered him $25 but he doesn't want to let it go until he knows what it is. I did some searching and couldn't find it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That case is a classic DIY aluminum box of the sort I get on Amazon. The Merlin M lettering is probably applied stickers? If you could take a photo of the inside after removing 4 screws we would know what it is.

Given that there is battery power option, it could possibly be a very low noise phono stage as you suggest. The M in the name may be referring to “moving coil” phono preamp?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Given that Merlin Music made speakers it could well be EQ or filter for woofer… if that is the case, likely only directly useful with their speaker.

TSMrdbg.jpg

I remember they were reviewed highly — the 3 vertical stripes on the baffle made them visually unique.

Merlin Music Systems | Signature Sound
RIP Bobby Palkovic of Merlin Music Systems | Stereophile.com
Merlin Music - audio

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looking at that last link, this box could well be a BAM,

That means it might be useful for other speakers, but the amount might need tuning.

Bass Augmentation Module (BAM):

5.2dB of boost at 35 Hz
Subsonic bass roll-off below 27Hz
Outboard power supply
Optional rechargeable battery power supply
Single ended (RCA) or fully balanced (XLR) models available
Cardas Cross internal wiring
Caddock Micronox® Film resistors
Hovland Aluminum foil and polypropylene capacitors
Input impedance: 40k ohms
Output impedance: 100 ohms
THD: < 0.005%
Maximum output voltage: 9.5Vrms
Power requirements: 50/60Hz 110VAC to 117VAC

dave

Off topic, but the Merlin name brings back memories:

I recall when I was in college, I was looking for a set of nice quality bookshelf speakers. I lived right outside Rochester NY and Paul Heath Audio was downtown and sold merlin. I wanted to check out their little ones because they were in my price range. The guy there played the flagship models at insane volumes and then told me that: No, he wouldn't hook up the little ones to listen to, and they sound just the same as the larger ones. I responded that if that were the case, why would anyone buy the larger ones.

He also asked about what other speakers I was looking at and yelled at me about how they were horrible choices, and were just drivers nailed to a box. He said that the two way Merlin speakers had a separate chamber for the tweeter. I mentioned that tweeters are sealed in the back, so why? He yelled some more and I left.

The guy running that place was apparently having some sort of mental break when I was there. I never went back.

If it were me, I'd offer that guy $10 for that mystery box. It's worth $10 to me not knowing the function or condition.

Sheldon

Putting a 'warranty void if sticker is broken' sticker on a simple piece of audio gear (whatever it is) could be a sign that the maker does not want buyers to know how simple and cheap is what lies inside. Most audio companies want to show off their 'advanced' circuitry.

The Cardas sticker does not provoke confidence, as it might imply that some snake oil has been used too.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for sharing :)

Are those opamps on the board... they look a bit small though. Its not easy to figure out from a picture.

The Jensen caps (two side by side in a wrapper?) looked like transformers for a moment. One does say cap on it though...

I guess the question now is 'what ya gonna do with it now ya got it' :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.