Remote preamp volume control choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Choose instead a stepped relay ladder volume for best result.
It is a good idea in theory.

To get a -90dB control in 0.5dB steps will need 180 relays? It may be a bit bulky, not say expensive to implement. A -90dB control in 0.5dB steps may not be necessary. What is a generic implementation like? Did anyone make a PCB and BOM for it? Thank you for the information.

What is the pros and cons of CS3310 digital volume control vs. a motorized ALPS potentiometer?

The input resistance of the CS3310 (same as a PGA2311) is 10K. For me this is a good thing as higher resistance potentially increases noise. Power consumption is 70 mW. The main pro with the CS/PGA is that they can provide gain if needed - up to+31.5 dB. You will not get that with motorized pots or binary attenuators without an opamp anyway. The CS/PGA gain is not always there like an external opamp. The gain of the chip is controlled by a stepped attenuator inside the chip. Channel tracking is well under 1/2 dB at any setting with a 256 step size of 1/2 dB. It also has a hardware MUTE. I picked up 5 DIP for $13 out the door.

The con is that it must be loaded with a microcontroller but that is trivial with an Arduino. I have a system running that listens to IR remotes (can be easily changed to nearly any brand). I use LG but it works with Samsung simultaneously too. Anybody wants the code just ask.

Last edited:
Look at amb’s a10 preamp and volume control boards.
Are you referring to this?
The α10 Stereo Pre-amplifier

amb_alpha10_4.jpg

The δ1 relay-based R-2R stereo attenuator

delta1_pcb_photo.jpg

Remote selector and volume control on ebay

I found a package on ebay at a reasonable price. The 63 dB volume attenuation should be adequate for most preamp application.

HIFI Remote volume Controller peramp pre-amplifier audio 128 steps /4 way input | eBay

s-l1600a.jpg

I like the 308mm enclosure depth which would allow easy addition of buffer card or upgrade of transformer. Any first hand experience of this stepped relay ladder volume unit?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.