Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Dynaco PAS 3x Quad Cap and ticking sound
Dynaco PAS 3x Quad Cap and ticking sound
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2018, 02:12 PM   #1
jimmeq is offline jimmeq  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaco PAS 3x Quad Cap and ticking sound

I'm a noobie to rebuilding and have started with a Dynaco PAS 3X. It was working but not sounding good so I began changing one part at a time. So far I've replaced the rectifier and the caps under it, the transformer and recently the Quad Cap. I got it from DynakitParts.com- a 30-20-20-20. I also replaced the 47K and two 10K resistors at 1/2 W that are soldered to the cap.

When I turn on the amp, after about 10 seconds I hear a slight *tick* sound and the power indicator light bulb flickers.

Should I have used 1W resistors?
Old 13th September 2018, 02:55 PM   #2
J247W is offline J247W  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmeq View Post
I'm a noobie to rebuilding and have started with a Dynaco PAS 3X. It was working but not sounding good so I began changing one part at a time. So far I've replaced the rectifier and the caps under it, the transformer and recently the Quad Cap. I got it from DynakitParts.com- a 30-20-20-20. I also replaced the 47K and two 10K resistors at 1/2 W that are soldered to the cap.

When I turn on the amp, after about 10 seconds I hear a slight *tick* sound and the power indicator light bulb flickers.

Should I have used 1W resistors?
Sounds like you have not soldered something properly, check the soldered joints under a "magnilamp" if you have one ? try to wiggle the components to see if anything moves, but with power off or course.

Check the components you have replaced are the right impedance as well.

Regards

J247W
Old 13th September 2018, 04:34 PM   #3
dtaylo3 is offline dtaylo3  United States
diyAudio Member

I would recommend going to Triode Electronics Home Page and World HQ and getting the Sheldon Stokes board/kit for upgrading power filtering, etc. It removes the selenium rectifier, quad cap, puts in a necessary fuse, improves the capacitor filtering, etc.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:02 PM   #4
jimmeq is offline jimmeq  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help! Very much appreciated. I make one change at a time just so when something like this happens it's easier for me to try and figure it out. And then there are often those times I can't... I do have a magnifying glass and a bright light....

I'm only replacing the old parts trying to stay with as much of the original design as I can.

Dynaco PAS 3x Quad Cap and ticking soundHide this!Advertise here!