Crossover upgrade recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chaps,

I have a crossover which is around 25 years old, it cannot be retrofitted to current models. I was thinking of upgrading it. It has a TL071 op amp and I think that the Opa 134 is a better sounding op amp. It is also possible that the electrolytic caps are loosing value after all these years so it would be worth checking and replacing them. Maybe even a bit higher values.

I wonder what else should be replaced.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Horacio

Attachments

• SW-63_2.JPG
    SW-63_2.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 112
  • SW-63_3.JPG
    SW-63_3.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 113
Active 2-way crossover

I am trying to build one using this board from AliExpress.
divider-crossover-linkwitz-riley-filter-2200hz-24dboct-class-a.jpg

It is a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filter. I am very interested in your experience using yours. Do you have a schematic?

HTB1ugqHCxGYBuNjy0Fnq6x5lpXaP.jpg HTB1MVHlkiAnBKNjSZFvq6yTKXXaV.jpg
It come with 5 NE5532DD IC's. I have the LME49720 for replacement.

Last edited:
Hi While I can't help with the OP's issue the other one maybe. For anyone needing a crossover that can be adjusted to nearly any frequency check out Marchand Electronics in New York. Their XM-1 is inexpensive and works great.
I am aware of the Marchand Electronics offers for many years. But their cookbook style user's manual and the lack of reference to established publication on active crossover type and application has prevented me to consider them seriously. The flexibility of their design is good and the price without case is ok too.

The Chinese crossover boards on ebay and aliexpress are even worse in term of technical details from the sellers, but it makes up by low price. More importantly, there are many posts on this forum that evaluated the quality, dissected the mod needed to make them work properly and fill the gap of technical detail.

The crossover is a line level device. An ultra low noise and FET input opamp is probably no required. But a wide dynamic range and bandwidth would be good. The LME49720 dual opamp is highly recommended for audio use, widely available at moderate price. I got mine from Digi-Key.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.