Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Balanced Volume Controller / Line Stage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2019, 01:15 PM   #61
mt490 is offline mt490
diyAudio Member

I doubt you could really satisfy everybody here, the best you'll be able to do is offer some prescribed 'breakouts' for users to mix and match.

The current look I am working to in my project is the late 80's digital theme. In that case the panel buttons would be tactile switches only if there will be any, however like the real equipment everything is done using the remote in practice anyway.

Furthermore - with displays - a point of contention for these projects is where the information is coming from. Sure your volume control knows the volume setting, but if a user then wants to show information like track time from media server XYZ or FOTM service box ? The user really has to take responsibility for making that bridge. You can only go so far with your model cases before it becomes frustratingly unsupportable and inconsistent in quality.
Old 9th April 2019, 01:23 PM   #62
diyralf is online now diyralf
diyAudio Member

I got away with regulating the volume electronically. All chips have too much distortion. Even the expensive ones. Furthermore, the rotary have no end stop. Bad usibility.
Old 9th April 2019, 04:46 PM   #63
zgtc is offline zgtc  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt490 View Post
Furthermore - with displays - a point of contention for these projects is where the information is coming from. Sure your volume control knows the volume setting, but if a user then wants to show information like track time from media server XYZ or FOTM service box ? The user really has to take responsibility for making that bridge. You can only go so far with your model cases before it becomes frustratingly unsupportable and inconsistent in quality.
Exact feelings here. I like the little board attached to the rotary encoder
Old 9th April 2019, 09:14 PM   #64
alexcp is offline alexcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you, this is an excellent point. The volume control cannot always “own” the display - when the display is controlled by something else, the volume control needs to support integration.
Old 11th April 2019, 10:56 AM   #65
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In my design, I used an LED ring around the encoder that is mounted on the PCB. A micro controller updates the ring based on the digital level. It works well for me. Some details here: preamp-two/images/prototypes at master * FutureSharks/preamp-two * GitHub
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prototype-13.jpg (104.1 KB, 621 views)
Old 11th April 2019, 07:34 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Looks super cool

A similar idea was used in Aleph P, see the attached picture. Four LEDs indicate the selected input and eight more - the volume.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040642.jpg (56.3 KB, 616 views)
Old 12th April 2019, 12:17 AM   #67
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
Banned

Quote:
I got away with regulating the volume electronically. All chips have too much distortion. Even the expensive ones. Furthermore, the rotary have no end stop. Bad usibility.
Please, is this needed or even sound, in a thread about electronic volume controls?Seems more like trolling.
Old 12th April 2019, 07:34 AM   #68
diyralf is online now diyralf
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromperie View Post
Please, is this needed or even sound, in a thread about electronic volume controls?Seems more like trolling.
I put a lot of money and time into the subject, but electronic pots didn't meet my expectations. But that should not stop you.
Old 12th April 2019, 05:19 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyralf View Post
[...]electronic pots didn't meet my expectations
May I ask you to share your expectations, and how digital ports did not meet them?

I am not specifically advocating digital pots; in fact, the volume control that started this thread is fully analog with a mechanical dual potentiometer sticking out of the board. However, I am interested in what makes both digital and analog controls perform better (or worse) sonically. Perhaps your experience would help others better understand the tradeoffs.
Old 19th April 2019, 04:23 PM   #70
jaddie is offline jaddie
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcp View Post
May I ask you to share your expectations, and how digital ports did not meet them?

I am not specifically advocating digital pots; in fact, the volume control that started this thread is fully analog with a mechanical dual potentiometer sticking out of the board. However, I am interested in what makes both digital and analog controls perform better (or worse) sonically. Perhaps your experience would help others better understand the tradeoffs.
I would be interested in the specific method used to determine a control is "better" or "worse".

Balanced Volume Controller / Line StageHide this!Advertise here!