Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Andrew, they just don't go away - the world is infested with these Cyber Bullies as you so rightly called them

DIY audio? That says "DOING IT YOURSELF" but it's more like "DO AS YOU"RE TOLD" these days!

And heaven forbid, you mustn't actually listen to the device in operation and formed your own opinion - No Experimentation Allowed

Yeah Andrew, they just don't go away - the world is infested with these Cyber Bullies as you so rightly called them

DIY audio? That says "DOING IT YOURSELF" but it's more like "DO AS YOU"RE TOLD" these days!

And heaven forbid, you mustn't actually listen to the device in operation and formed your own opinion - No Experimentation Allowed

I find it all rather disappointing.
If you dare speak up it's insinuated that you are a friend doing a positive review or something.
I don't know Chris from Adam and he's on the other side of the world for god's sake.

I've watched this go on long enough and wondered when the defence would start...like where the other owners were ?
The problem I've got is I don't have the technical knowledge to jump in and kick their little balls back up their bodies.

But hey, if it's about music ( which is why we're supposedly here ) it sounds lovely. Georges did and so did Uriah's ( which never gets clobbered by the henchmen incidentally - ever )
Anyone from the bullying group care to explain that for me ?

It just so happens that the one I've got now sounds even better than the other two.
I can't hide it or apologise for that - it's just a fact

Christ, my new car is better than my last one and the one before it.
That's evolution.
Mercedes don't cry when BMW steal a march...they just work harder on their next one.
Same applies here.

I also think some people on here live such miserable lives that they get their only gratification from demonstrating how clever they are....it's quite pathetic.

Measurements and theory or Music ?
That is the question.....

Yes, the gradual change in the attitude of the site is quite a disappointment - many of the older members have years of experience to share and some of it is right 'outside the square' as they say, but this is the legacy of diy community, IMO.

To disagree isn't the problem, it's how that disagreement is written.

It is interesting how the different designs of the ldr volume controls have different sounds - I use Uriah's 'Clone Note' for it's exceptional transparency that fits well in my system but the others are just a little different - I haven't heard the current version of the Stereo Coffee and it appears to be a bit different - I must chase it up.

I remember the first time I tried the current control to the ldrs, (George's original thread, post #1000) instead of the then voltage control, and I preferred the difference it made to the sound - quite a surprise, that was - about 10 years ago now, I think.

Many of the guys who write here haven't listened to any of the ldr volume controls at all and just disagree to the whole idea of the things

It's a bit the same with the fixation of the basic "L-Pad' is the only way to control the volume - there's a whole other world of attenuators for various purposes out there.

All the best ...

Yes, the gradual change in the attitude of the site is quite a disappointment - many of the older members have years of experience to share and some of it is right 'outside the square' as they say, but this is the legacy of diy community, IMO.

To disagree isn't the problem, it's how that disagreement is written.

It is interesting how the different designs of the ldr volume controls have different sounds - I use Uriah's 'Clone Note' for it's exceptional transparency that fits well in my system but the others are just a little different - I haven't heard the current version of the Stereo Coffee and it appears to be a bit different - I must chase it up.

I remember the first time I tried the current control to the ldrs, (George's original thread, post #1000) instead of the then voltage control, and I preferred the difference it made to the sound - quite a surprise, that was - about 10 years ago now, I think.

Many of the guys who write here haven't listened to any of the ldr volume controls at all and just disagree to the whole idea of the things

It's a bit the same with the fixation of the basic "L-Pad' is the only way to control the volume - there's a whole other world of attenuators for various purposes out there.

All the best ...

Interesting - you've got Uriah's latest one.
Apparently it's really good ( i read some stuff about it )
The Lighternote was too, a big step up for me at the time and Uriah I remember was very helpful and a nice guy to deal with.

I chose my new one based on the many reviews out there too but I was also very nervous about soldering the LDR's - due to my own inabilities which resulted in absolutely loads of scorched LDR's.
The fact that Chris takes away the worry of that element of assembly was
a deciding factor and he reacts to emails so astonishingly fast that I was just inspired.

I don't actually need to know how or why it works ( I knew LDR's did work ) It was just about the sounds it made that drew me back to it.
I remember being deflated at having to go back to a stepped attenuator and
valve buffer when I'd scorched my last LDR trying to repair a dry joint.
The sound was so underwhelming and ' shut in ' compared to my Lighternote.
I vowed I'd go back to the ' dark side ' one day and I'm damn pleased I have - the bass and midrange detail is just sensational.

More importantly Chris version takes way the assembly stress and I know he'd help in a flash if I did something incorrect.
Having said that the lid is now firmly bolted down and I don't expect to have to lift it anytime soon!!

You calmed me down a bit too - much appreciated mate !!

Andrew

Seeing my name has been bought into it, we did a blind A/B/C/D comparison with a very high end system with around 30 of our audio club members with voting sheets to
A pure 6v battery operation
B linear 12vdc wall wart with simple 5v 7805 regulated circuit
C 12v Li-Ion battery into the same 7805 circuit.
D A Paul Hynes power supply he sent me to try way back when I first released the Lightspeed Attenuator on this forum as a DIY project.
Volume was adjusted perfectly even for all using test disks and ac mV meter.
Results were so close that it was inconclusive, nobody was sure which were what they were listening to!!

Like I said before the reaction time of the LDR's are so slow they are self damping, to any led abnormalities caused by noise or minute v quiver of the supply, this is why 30 "audiophiles" could not come to a definitive answer to what sounded better. Power just has to be regulate and steady, anything else being spruiked here is just snake oil.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Do you have a problem with people asking questions on a technical forum? Who do you think is the bully here?

You and all your followers.
I just think you're all rude and I've read enough of it.
As usual the moderators are no where when needed either.

You criticise when you've never built nor heard one and of course because you actually don't understand it or explanations given - so it's just plain wrong.

Calling people ' son ' is also blatant bad manners too in the context you used it so I fired it back.

Get over it.

You'll not bully me either - I'll tell you all to f...k off

How in f....s name would I have a schematic you idiot

It was ready made set of boards delivered...do you read anything properly ?

Calm yourself please. Have you never bought a product that included a schematic diagram? My electric range has one for crying out loud. This is a DIY forum, it is not unreasonable to expect to see a schematic.

Now, having seen some schematics that Mr. Daley has posted here before, I can understand why he would be too embarrassed to show this one. His "explanations" of the circuits he posted were as much non sequiturs as the circuits themselves. I know English is not the first language for many members here, and some folks have other disabilities that make it impossible for them to express themselves grammatically or intelligibly, so in the past I have tried to oass over some of Chris' more troubling posts. However he keeps making unsupported claims to have uncovered some magic circuit, and this is a rechnical forum, so he has to expect to be questioned about these claims.

You and all your followers.
I just think you're all rude and I've read enough of it.
As usual the moderators are no where when needed either.

You criticise when you've never built nor heard one and of course because you actually don't understand it or explanations given - so it's just plain wrong.

Calling people ' son ' is also blatant bad manners too in the context you used it so I fired it back.

Get over it.

You'll not bully me either - I'll tell you all to f...k off

I never used the epithet "son" to address anyone on this forum, or any other forum, ever.

Thanks for the lovely sentiment. Are you the guy who said he was from "the North" a few posts back, like that excused bad behaviour? North of what? I'm from Canada, the True North Strong and Free as our national anthem says. I suppose that means I can act like an idiot with no repercussions, right?

Calm yourself please. Have you never bought a product that included a schematic diagram? My electric range has one for crying out loud. This is a DIY forum, it is not unreasonable to expect to see a schematic.

Now, having seen some schematics that Mr. Daley has posted here before, I can understand why he would be too embarrassed to show this one. His "explanations" of the circuits he posted were as much non sequiturs as the circuits themselves. I know English is not the first language for many members here, and some folks have other disabilities that make it impossible for them to express themselves grammatically or intelligibly, so in the past I have tried to oass over some of Chris' more troubling posts. However he keeps making unsupported claims to have uncovered some magic circuit, and this is a rechnical forum, so he has to expect to be questioned about these claims.

Right - in that case my apologies.

I ordered the kit - Chris confirms receipt and sends product.
I never asked for schematic nor expected one.

Your English is clearly very good.
No more excuses please.

Straight away you're having a go at him - ' I can understand why he would be too embarrassed to show this one '

Why say that ?
Not necessary.

Next - ' claims to have uncovered some magic circuit '
No he has not and in any case why would he want to be questioned by a bunch of sarcastic, bored and technical non believers anyway ?

Who in their right minds would set themselves up for a beating like that ?
Look at the sarcasm and nastiness he receives when he tries ?

IT'S HORRIBLE TO WATCH FROM THE SIDELINES not being able to stop it or help him.

He's not a bad man, he's not weird and he certainly isn't unintelligent.
His grammar and spelling is certainly a lot better than some who post here...and you know who you are dimwits

It's about time someone said............ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

You don't even want to build one of the simple ones based on an Australian design or even a more advanced one from America.
You're just all having a go at New Zealand design that's a bit different because no one including you actually understands it.

Opportunities to take the p.ss out of people are rare on here.

Or...you are all friends of Georges - as as been leveled at some of us who approve of Chris ideas and results..

I never used the epithet "son" to address anyone on this forum, or any other forum, ever.

Thanks for the lovely sentiment. Are you the guy who said he was from "the North" a few posts back, like that excused bad behaviour? North of what? I'm from Canada, the True North Strong and Free as our national anthem says. I suppose that means I can act like an idiot with no repercussions, right?

Go right ahead - you clearly do

Status
Not open for further replies.