Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you answer DF post Chris, without all the techno babble translations.
DF sadly approaches his forum presence with LDR's ( notably he is brilliant with other subjects ) from a very solemn position of not wanting to listen to LDR's

Noting your product uses this same part. and you at least listen, I suggest you spend the afternoon trying a variety of other regulators to see if you can get any better audio , and report your findings. You might consider arranging said device (a LM317 being a bit better) as a current regulator, where Vref/r provides the needed current, rather than a 7805 as a fixed voltage regulator.

Last edited:
Your lighting up a led Chris, it has no influence even if it's powered by an unregulated supply. Because do you know why????? The ldr's "response time, 80msec!!" it's so slow to any changes in light" intensity or flicker, it can't respond to it instantly. THEY ARE SELF REGULATING All the BS with power supplies you spruik means nothing, even battery pure DC, is impossible to detect in a blind a/b with decent linear dc wall wart. I've told you this many times but you don't listen, let it sink in.

Now answer DF96 's question.

George

Last edited:
Many times also you been told the NSL32SR2S or SR2 is the only one that will give lowest volume as not to intrude (too loud) when you turn it down. The SR3 is not a good substitute.

You have no idea, look at the time when power is changed to the led to how long it take for the ldr to respond and settle.

I'm over you Chris go back to your "pass transistors for opamps" http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...preamp-chris-dalys-opamp-pass-transistors-jpg and stop trying to make $$$$$ off someones else's IP, especially with your NZ mate and the "Java LDR" $3k!!! passive.

"tag @DF96" your up, I'm outer here.

Cheers George

If you arrange the cathode not to the same potential as signal ground, lets say 0.7v above ground many useful attributes arise, including solving silence at zero volume. can you suggest how this might be done ? To the contrary The NSL32SR3 offers Resistance Off ( Roff) of 25M ohms inferring as well as effective silence at zero volume , it can be also used as a contact less switch, suiting more than one stereo input being provided

Your other comments are undignified including viewing the forum as a boxing match with yourself as a spectator.

Last edited:
Your other comments are undignified including viewing the forum as a boxing match with yourself as a spectator.

Once again you've bought it on yourself, like you have many times before with other BS you've done and had a new one ripped for it by the knowledgeable here.

I get sick of leaches trying to make $$$ on someones else IP, and they think it's OK because they changed an insignificant bit of it, then they think they have the right to call it there own invention.

Like I said go back to your opamp "rail voltage pass transistor" at least this was your idea.

Attachments

• Chris Daly's opamp pass transistors.jpg
    Chris Daly's opamp pass transistors.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 383
No I don't but it is my IP, and I don't mind others making it as this thread shows, it's for the masses.

Every now and again someone want to make a buck out it, I take that, but what really get's me going is when they say it's designed by them, when all that's done is a minor changes or added something that really does nothing to make it sound better, probably worse, but they say and act like they've re-invented the wheel and charge a small fortune for it.
Kiwi Kickstarter o’ the week: the JAVA audiophile preamp | Idealog

How do you think guys like Nelson Pass feels when the Asian copiers get hold of his circuits and call them something else, even though they'er patented, yet they make sure they hint/point to it being the same.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Would it be correct to say that the only IP is your PCB layout? All the rest is in the open domain and may be used by everyone.
I would not like to guess how somebody may feel about any of this. If it is not prohibited to copy then what can you do?

Last edited:
It's in the way the photo cells were used, not a pcb layout.

I can discredit anyone who tries to make money out of it and says they designed it, as it is my IP.

What I can tell you the very first Lightspeed I made was in 1970's I was a camera technician, I used Nikon camera light meter photo cells in the ends of a 2" tube for L and R channel in the middle was a hole drilled to accept a neon lamp at first, then later a led when they were available.

I should have patented then, but those cells were so unreliable with temp changes it would have been a waist of money.

Then in the 90's a company Melos copied it and put it into their flagship 3 box preamp MA-333 and SHA-Gold or something smaller one, they supposed to of sounded very good, they called it a "photopotentiometer", still unreliable they nearly went to the wall after they all came back after a while with bad drift problems.

Lately Dartzeel uses it in the $30k NHB-18NS preamplifier they called it the Pleasure control, they had a provisional patent on it which never got granted after I showed I did it some 25 years before hand.

Melos MA-333 tube preamplifier with separate phonostage Photo #369109 - Canuck Audio Mart

Melos SHA-Gold headphone amplifier | Stereophile.com

Cheers George

Last edited:
George while I can empathize with your frustation, property is a construct of the legal system and has no objective meaning outside of a system of enforcement. In simple terms there is no such thing as property one cannot defend legally. If you feel you have a claim you should pursue it legally if it’s being infringed upon, otherwise cease to refer to it as your property. However I believe the likelihood of a successful claim close to zero for a variety of reasons that have been touched on in this and various LDR related threads you’ve contributed to. At this point claiming IP is akin to crying wolf.

George while I can empathize with your frustation, property is a construct of the legal system and has no objective meaning outside of a system of enforcement. In simple terms there is no such thing as property one cannot defend legally. If you feel you have a claim you should pursue it legally if it’s being infringed upon, otherwise cease to refer to it as your property. However I believe the likelihood of a successful claim close to zero for a variety of reasons that have been touched on in this and various LDR related threads you’ve contributed to. At this point claiming IP is akin to crying wolf.

I know that i'll just go the discredit path, that's why I said "I can discredit anyone who tries to make money out of it and says they designed it, as it is my IP." I was never going down the suing path.
And I did stop a patent being granted.

Cheers George

Last edited:
I am still trying to understand what IP you think that you have. Even if you are the first to use a LDR or any other device in a circuit doesn't mean that you automatically own any rights. Circuits are not protected under copyright law. Leaving a patent as the only other way to claim IP.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:cop: Chris and George. I suggest you both stay out of threads related to the other.

Signature line links to products are allowed. There is nothing rule breaking about Georges signature.

However the forums are not the place for product rivalry/ownership claim, discussions. Please end it now.

Chris Daly said:
Your post just above claims a LDR does not have a anode or cathode
can you also help?
Yes, of course; very glad to help. An LDR is a symmetric light-dependent resistor, often made of cadmium sulphide. It has no anode or cathode.

Unfortunately, some sloppy people refer to an LED-LDR optocoupler as an 'LDR' thus creating confusion (perhaps for themselves as well as others).

I am still waiting for an explanation of post 30. Maybe it is trying to say something about current drive for LEDs? Just a guess, as I peer through the fog.

Chris Daly said:
I have written to moderators to remove post 34 as it contains link to a commercial product being promoted by the writer, as do all the posts by this writer .
Isn't this whole thread some form of advert for your volume control?

Chris Daly said:
So readers are aware and its not hard to find this with a google search What you offer and what i offer have been compared already: "The Stereo Coffee listening experience seems to be up quite a few notches on the renowned Lightspeed" Comparison Lightspeed DIY LDR Pre VS Stereo Coffee DIY - DIY Audio Projects - StereoNET
Interesting that the first post in that thread says that the author is not interested in hearing about distortion.

Chris Daly said:
Noting your product uses this same part. and you at least listen, I suggest you spend the afternoon trying a variety of other regulators to see if you can get any better audio , and report your findings. You might consider arranging said device (a LM317 being a bit better) as a current regulator, where Vref/r provides the needed current, rather than a 7805 as a fixed voltage regulator.
Ok, so your unclear post 30 probably was talking about current drive to the LEDs. Why not just say so when I asked? The LED is simply acting as a light source, so whether it has current drive or voltage drive or any other drive can have no effect whatsoever on audio signal fidelity. It could have an effect on volume control knob linearity, but of course you would not try to confuse this with signal linearity, would you?

Chris Daly said:
If you arrange the cathode not to the same potential as signal ground, lets say 0.7v above ground many useful attributes arise, including solving silence at zero volume.
The only thing which matters to an LED is the difference in voltage between anode and cathode. It cannot know and cannot care how these relate to other nearby potentials, including 'signal ground'.

Mark Whitney said:
Circuits are not protected under copyright law.
Maybe the law has recently changed, but I believe circuits were protected in England under copyright. Simply creating a 'work' automatically gave it copyright protection. However, copyright does not cover the idea behind the 'work'. For that you need a patent.

If someone has a bright idea and makes it public then all that gives them is the ability to prevent someone else from patenting it or claiming it as their own. It won't stop others from making money from it. However, if the originator has some credibility then he can licence his design to others and they will be willing to pay for this in order to boost their own sales.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In 29 years yakking and managing forums, I have not seen a forum collapse from business signatures. It may have happened; just I have not seen it.

The usual rule, going back more than the 29 years, is that business affiliations must be disclosed (if they relate to the topic subject). I remember when it had to be in the UserName ("Fred Smith {Sutton Industries}"). Many places the sig-line is convenient and allowed and encouraged. I read much of this thread before realizing who "Coffee" was- I wish it had been clearer.

Maybe the law has recently changed, but I believe circuits were protected in England under copyright. Simply creating a 'work' automatically gave it copyright protection. However, copyright does not cover the idea behind the 'work'. For that you need a patent.

If someone has a bright idea and makes it public then all that gives them is the ability to prevent someone else from patenting it or claiming it as their own. It won't stop others from making money from it. However, if the originator has some credibility then he can licence his design to others and they will be willing to pay for this in order to boost their own sales.
In America it’s a nightmare. You need a lot of money to get anywhere, and it’ll be a long ride. Troubled Federal Circuit Hobbles US Patent System - Intellectual Property Watch

Getting anywhere in foreign countries is even more problematic. It’s not even worth discussing in this context.

George’s guerrilla warfare tactics are likely vastly more functional. Public shaming behavior can be just as good if you can’t afford lawyers, especially so in the age of the internet.

But I’d like to make clear I’m not speaking to the validity of anyone’s claims here or my interpretation of their moral makeup. Simply the practical considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.