Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Amplifier for Magnepan Second hand (NAD vs SONY ES vs New Sony)
Amplifier for Magnepan Second hand (NAD vs SONY ES vs New Sony)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2018, 10:35 AM   #1
justice strike is offline justice strike
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier for Magnepan Second hand (NAD vs SONY ES vs New Sony)

I just finished restoring a pair of magnepan 1.4. This is the model that doesn't allow biamping.

I'm now running them with a pioneer midi-set amplifier... suffice to say that this is hugely inadequate, and you can hear it.

I've been steered towards a second hand NAD amplifier (for around 50 euro's) This is mainly because I don't have the means to go out and buy the expensive new amplifiers, i have to make due

now, I've also have been looking at Sony ES series. In particular the Sony VA8ES and the Sony DA1200ES. The last one doesn't strike me as a ES series amplifier, especially since it was sold for 400 GBP only, but the first one seems to be a proper amp (albeit more than 20 years old).

Lastly I was also enticed with the new deals that are coming up on amazon. I might be able to stretch and get a warehouse deal with the 20% discount they are giving out now. But it wouldn't be an ES series Sony.

Now the question will be... what would be my best bet...
  1. a second hand NAD (10 years old, can be had between 50-100 euro).
  2. a second hand Sony ES (same price range would be about between 15 and 20 years old)
  3. a new Sony receiver/amplifier (non-es)

I'm also considering a Yamaha as500... which i can pick up for about a 100 eur. Would that be a good deal?

P.s. I've always been impressed by the top end Sony products I've owned. and thinking back, all the sony products that i've had have been impressive. Hence my slight bias, i'm open to suggestions though

Also, i'm looking into a media server/streamer. I was thinking about the Sony HAP-S1 but again, money constraints. I might opt to go for a cheap Pioneer media streamer (although i have a slight love hate with that brand) or a raspberry pi with volumio.... however any suggestions on Combination products (i.e. media server + amp) are highly valued

Last edited by justice strike; 21st March 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

really, nobody has anything to say on this?
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Boydk is offline Boydk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Stop messing around with "lame" amps :-).
I have "Maggies" MG12-QR. The specīs say 50-200 watt. Thatīs soooo not enough. You need an amp very strong current wise, and as a minimum 500 watt/4 ohm, if you really want your Magnepan to sing.
Currently using Advance Acoustic MAA-1000 X 2. This is a match made in heaven.
Now donīt say I didnīt warn you :-) .-)
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

sure, i understand that... but given the budget constraints, what are my options.

Amplifier for Magnepan Second hand (NAD vs SONY ES vs New Sony)Hide this!Advertise here!