Budget active 3 way crossover - buy, eval, mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few reasons @olsond3 and @pelanj

My active analog filter box is simple and behaves the same every time it's powered on. I need 8 outputs to support an active 3way stereo and 2 independent BP sub controllers. Budget active subwoofer lowpass #2, buy, eval, mod I'm very happy with the way it performs. A mini DSP (only 4 outputs) would offer no advantage to me for these functions and it may be electrically noisier. Level adjustments from differences in driver sensitivity are done at the amplifier.

I use it with a digital solution that has better DACs than miniDSP and more processing power for DSP including large FIR convolutions and customization with a headless networked audio player. Either my RPI or my PC can be used as a stereo source for this active analog filter box and they can perform any residual corrections (eq, conv) required. Raspberry Pi with Piano2.1 DAC DSP and Volumio2

Last edited:
This one piqued my interest. I've been using a pair of miniDSP 2x4HD for the last few years and although flexible I've never been impressed by their noise and the appearance.

I've built a stereo pair of 3-way LR (following the ESP design) using an eBay (UK supplier) unpopulated board and having spent many hours tuning the crossover points using the miniDSPs I was able to find the 'perfect' R/C combinations needed. The down side of this project is the rather large case I need for it so seeing this board on eBay and reading this thread I placed an order.

Happy it helped. These things are usually all SK filter implementations.

My configuration has grown alittle. I added P/S filtering and a second subwoofer controller.

Attachments

• DSCN7591r.jpg
    DSCN7591r.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 185
They are simple filters and gain adjustments for my subwoofers.

There is a fixed subsonic HP BW3@20Hz and fixed LP BW2@130Hz. The 2 pots are for variable LP BW2[20Hz-130Hz] and variable gain (0-20dB]. Phase reversal is done by swapping the amp connections to the subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.