How to boost sound level from Amazon Fire tablet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use an Amazon fire 7 tablet as a cheap way of getting Spotify and plug it into a boombox or my hi-fi but although the sound quality is pretty good the output volume from the Fire's headphone socket is a little low presumably to stop people damaging their ears when using headphones. Is there a gadget I can get to boost the headphone output without degrading sound quality or even improve it further without breaking the bank?

Are you saying that the boombox or hifi doesn't have enough gain available to put out the volume you want from the tablet ?
If so any simple gain stage / preamp between the tablet and the hifi will turn it up.

In terms of accuracy / fidelity you can't really improve the sound from any source.
You can of course try to avoid doing any harm !
Whether you'd prefer the sound of it through some 'coloured' stage - valves / transformer / jfet/whatever - is a different and subjective matter.
Of course there's EQ too but I guess that's probably covered, at least on the 'hi-fi'.

Are you saying that the boombox or hifi doesn't have enough gain available to put out the volume you want from the tablet ?
If so any simple gain stage / preamp between the tablet and the hifi will turn it up.

In terms of accuracy / fidelity you can't really improve the sound from any source.
You can of course try to avoid doing any harm !
Whether you'd prefer the sound of it through some 'coloured' stage - valves / transformer / jfet/whatever - is a different and subjective matter.
Of course there's EQ too but I guess that's probably covered, at least on the 'hi-fi'.

Thanks, what make or model pre amp/gain stage would you recommend? Obviously it will need to be adjustable to achieve the right amount of gain as I guess I will only need a fairly small amount gain to improve the tablets output level slightly, I probably won't need any type of EQ adjustment though.

Cheap kit from ebay.

LJM Mini P7 Preamp Kit For MX50 L20 L6 Power AMP DIY AMPLIFIER KIT | eBay
You will need to find a powersupply and box as well as solder parts.

Or built up unit with power supply.

100db Audio Mini 6j1 Valve &vacuum Tube Pre Amplifier Stereo HIFI Buffer Preamp | eBay
Preferably a ready made unit, won't valves colour the sound? Perhaps I should have asked this first but is some kind of booster amp a better option than simply cranking up the volume on my HiFi amp or boombox? Also is there such a thing as a headphone amp, if so would that be a solution?

Preferably a ready made unit, won't valves colour the sound? Perhaps I should have asked this first but is some kind of booster amp a better option than simply cranking up the volume on my HiFi amp or boombox? Also is there such a thing as a headphone amp, if so would that be a solution?

Are you now saying that you can get enough volume out of the hifi if you turn the volume control up ?
This is what I asked in first reply.
If that does the trick then go with that.

yes valves are likely to 'colour' the sound - some people like it.
If you want a clean boost just go with opamps !

Of course there are headphone amps. Check Fiio A1 and A3.

Are you now saying that you can get enough volume out of the hifi if you turn the volume control up ?
This is what I asked in first reply.
If that does the trick then go with that.

yes valves are likely to 'colour' the sound - some people like it.
If you want a clean boost just go with opamps !

Of course there are headphone amps. Check Fiio A1 and A3.

Yeah, in hindsight probably a dumb question, I think I will just turn up the amp or boombox.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.