Feedback wanted - TV Fixed Line-out Volume Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I recently tried to connect some external amplified speakers (PC speakers) to my Samsung TV. The sound was MUCH better but there was no way to control the volume without getting up and turning the volume knob on the speakers.

I've drawn up a schematic for a volume control board to accept the 3.5mm fixed audio line out from the TV and provide a variable line out signal to the external speakers. The micro will control the digital pots using the IR signal from the TV remote. The board will be powered by USB which is available on the back on the TV.

Concerns:
* I have no isolation on the audio, will I have problems with ground currents?
* Have I completely missed something/made an obvious mistake?

Any feedback/critique is appreciated

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• Volume 171230 1129.PDF
    135.5 KB · Views: 44
it has an onboard op-amp (buffer) for output. that's nice. still, I recommend 3 stages: prebuffering, pga chip, postbuffering.

postbuffering protects against reversing input and output jacks and blowing up the chip. plus, its nice to have to decouple the chip from the outside world.

prebuffering, since you want to give the pga chip's input a fairly low and predictable Z. an input OA can also limit the input swing that the pga sees (oa should run slightly lower in rails than pga) and that tops bad pga behavior.

(ob disc, I'm working on a pga/arduino board; you're welcome to give it a try.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.