Can a harsh high freq preamp become sweet sounding?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I`m going to use a quite unusual, or so I think, preamplifier.
As I need a remote control volume adjustment, active crossover I thought I could use a car unit, which will give me:
remote control, active crossover, CD player source, Bluetooth, USB drive source, DSP and 16-band EQ (if I need to), radio, etc, all in one and in a affordable price.

So I picked a Pioneer DEH-80PRS which is supposedly a reference series unit and its sound should be superb.
That`s what I thought but comparing to my DEH-P88RS it is a tad quicker on low frequencies but upper freq sound harsh and not alive.
BTW, the output op-amps are LT1358 as I see in the schematic and I `m not willing to change them.
As I will use it to drive a custom LM3886 with a buffer my question is:

Can the amplifier`s op-amp buffer sweet this harsh highs or whichever op-amp I will use it is a no go?

It is quite a relief hearing that it should sound good.
I connected it at my car, comparing it to my P88RS, but gave a very but very quick test. One thing that might affected things is that I connected front (only) amplifier but to the rear output of the 80PRS. So the rear output may not be as good (I doubt) and sure time alignment could not be set.
As the car is setup at front left (tweeter position and time alignment on P88RS) it was a not fair comparison for the 80PRS.

Still I found it harsh compared even to my second P88RS which has no time alignment set.
But I found it better to low frequencies with quite a difference, faster and more accurate although the 88 is not bad at all.

Thank you so far, I will give a try at weekend, to see if things go better for it.

I'm quite confident your Pioneer is fine.

I have the Pioneer FH-X731BT model which I tested in my lab. I was surprised at the performance. All for $90+

Your model cost more than twice of mine. I expect it to be even better.

Take your time with the wiring, especially when you activate the crossovers and time delays. When I configure my unit for active crossovers, my Rear Output is to woofer and FRONT Output is to tweeter.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Add a single ended class A preamp stage after your Pioneer and before the power amp. It will make the sound sweeter. Use something like a simple BF862 preamp by Juma or you can use my pocket Class A headphone amp as a preamp. I add this after my Amazon Dot/Alexa appliance and the music from it sounds fabulous.

xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB

You can order pcb and try it yourself.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
DF96,
The DEH-80PRS was stated in an earlier post to be low distortion. The OP asked for a “sweeter sound” NOT lower distortion sound. Sweeter is typically slightly higher second order harmonic distortion. Not much is needed, -66dB in this case makes a works of difference to a dry lifeless low distortion amp. We all know this is the reason why tube amps are so highly praised for their sound. Anyone trying to “fix” the problematic distortion of a tube amp?

Last edited:
Its sound seems to be clear, distortion free.
But I do not like the tonality, if you know what I mean. It`s kind harsh, like having a bad tweeter or crossover, which is not the case.

I may try one BBE processor I have, it`s a chinese board and have not tried before. I hope it works and I hope it corrects some of the output result.
In general I like BBE a lot. Liked it a lot in my Alpine 7944, like it quite a lot in my P88RS.

But when I compared the 80PRS to the P88RS was without any other processing on both, or with any available in both.
The sound of the 80PRS seems much like the Alpine CDA-9812RB I (also) have, which I do not like at all.

Forgot to mention, although you have concluded, that the unit will be used at home. For the car I have the winner P88RS and have also a second unit but liked the newer model for bluetooth, USB, etc.
So I bought one new, for 300Euro.

Anyway, any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks !

xrk971 said:
The OP asked for a “sweeter sound” NOT lower distortion sound.
To me "harsh" means distortion. I suppose it could mean a treble peak; if so the solution is tone controls, not added distortion.

Not much is needed, -66dB in this case makes a works of difference to a dry lifeless low distortion amp. We all know this is the reason why tube amps are so highly praised for their sound.
"Dry lifeless low distortion" is what some people seek, including from tube amps. Some call this 'hi-fi'. Not everyone likes it.

DF96,
We all know this is the reason why tube amps are so highly praised for their sound. Anyone trying to “fix” the problematic distortion of a tube amp?

That's up for debate. You have your world view, but there are others who do not share it. Many people continue to try to fix the problematic distortion of a tube amplifier, or any other type of amplifier. It's called "advancements in amplifier design" - it's been going on for over 100 years, since the triode was invented.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.