Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Pre Amp
Pre Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2017, 05:29 AM   #11
kbyrne is offline kbyrne  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry I wasn't clear of the whole picture but with a additional pot I knew the volume would be less due to additional resistance. I found a site about db definition and am going to look
at that aspect trying to figure it all out without training. I have successful Pre Amps, and tone controls in boxes and wanted one good one in the same box. I will look into what you stated. Best Kevin
Old 6th December 2017, 09:48 AM   #12
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

using a vol pot as a balance control adds resistance/impedance to your input circuit.
That is not a nice way to do balance adjustment.
They make balance pots. They have zero ohms resistance on one half of the track and all the balance resistance is built into the other 50% of the track. For a two channel balance control the two halves of zero ohms are on opposite sides to the centre detent rotation.
This gives a zero ohms straight through with a paralleled load to signal ground when centred. As one turns towards one side the ohms of resistance is inserted to reduce the level on that side, while the other side is still on the zero ohms straight through section of track.
You will have to search to find any retailers of these balance pots.
Old 6th December 2017, 03:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Andrew is a blend pot for guitars, amps the same type of pot you talk about? They have 250k and 500k mentioned in first google search.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:28 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Pre Amp

I have found a 0 detent Alps blue velvet but have one question. Rod Eliot has a better volume control pdf. He states a formula that needs a 250k ballance pot for use with a 100k volume pot. Is anyone experienced with his work? I tried to upload a pdf but its size is too big. I could try a link if need be for all to view.

Pre AmpHide this!Advertise here!