AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Output

I think once the main board and DB's are tested and working fine, it may be an option to solder the DB's to the main board. I've never felt very happy with the wobbly DB's. The cheapy header connectors were not designed to hold a board very tight and rigid without any other support. I've also considered adding support to the top edges of the DB's.

Any single or double row 0.1" (2.5mm) pitch connector will work. I used two rows of round pin PCB header.

Attachments

• lXhyd[1].jpg
    lXhyd[1].jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 641
Added some heatsinks to the transistors.

Main board: R141 to 10k
THT: R10 33k, and R11 6k8.
Couldn't get the Vishay Metal film resistors, so found some other Metal film resistors, not as accurate as the Vishay's.

Still waiting for the DACT SMD attenuator.

The cable from the X121 to X111, how do I know what side is to be correct between them?

Attachments

• AKSALender07.jpg
    AKSALender07.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 563
Done a bit more today.

Attached the AKSA to a timber board, attached the power board, found a previous LED cable, just need to know what resistor is needed for it. Put some PCB headers for the DACT attenuator (it's not here yet)

Just need to sort the power cable to the HP laptop power system, attach some RCA sockets and attach the DACT when it arrives and will see if it works!

Attachments

• AKSALender08.jpg
    AKSALender08.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 540
Ok. have been waiting for the SMD DACT, and still hasn't arrived.

Have and set a Mouser potentiometer 10KOhms 688-RK09L12D0A1W, connected it today.

The pre-amp only works on the right side. Can feel the right side of the THT is warm on the heatsinks, and the the left side is cold.

How do I test where the left side is not connecting or some other mistake.

The sound on the right side sounds good, but if I turn the potentiometer up to the normal volume on my old Musical Fidelity Preamp 3A it crackles in the speaker.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Are there any of the original parts in my preamp that could be replaced with better parts and make even better sound?

Hello Maf_au

It looks like your Wima MKP4 caps are only 1uF.
In order not to loose low frequency information, I’d start by replacing those with a value closer to 10uF.
Looks like you’ve got a nice build there :)

ENJOY!!

Regards,
Vunce

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
maf_au,
Very nice build there. Your parts are pretty good quality with all Vishay resistors and looks like Panasonic electrolytics. With the 10uF Mundorf input you are pretty much approaching the best it’s going to get. If you want, try changing the feedback resistor for a carbon film - that might make it sound a bit smoother. Other than that, you have a great Preamp. A lot for the great sound comes from the design and topology and the layout by JPS64. Just changing parts on your other preamp will probably not bring you similar levels of sound quality improvement as just using the Aksa Lender even with inexpensive non premium parts.

The cheap DACT type attenuator finally arrived today. Sounds a bit better than the ALPS Potentiometer. Have them set so can swap them easy to test them.

Still waiting for the Mundorf Caps. Might add some caps (10u0, C1022,C1032) while waiting. If I run the volume up, the sound is crackling!!!

Attachments

• AKSALender11.jpg
    AKSALender11.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 400
Hi maty,

Since adding the DACT type attenuator, have only listen to one CD so far.

Have listened to this CD on our music system over a long time as I have been improving the system over time.

Gillian Welch: Soul Journey - Wikipedia

Don't have any non-CD music, but listen to Jazz, Blues, Classical and a variety but not much pop :)

Had to buy the ALPS that was available to me at the time. Don't know the different between blue or green. What is the different to them, and are they better than the DACT attenuator?