Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Output
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2019, 04:49 PM   #1051
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If anyone wants to build the new dual rail version of the Aksa Lender Preamp called the Melbourne - there is a GB going on now.

I know the forum is not really devoted to the inexperienced and I understand. It might be painful to explain everything in the basic details all the time. But since Iím interested in building an M2x I have to ask:

What does this really add? By your description I understand that this is a preamp to the M2x, making it an integrated amplifier i.e. I can connect a 2V signal directly to it. Is that correct or the Melbourne is in fact one more alternative to the other ones already offered, just a different sound signature?

Will it give you a means of volume control as well?
Old 11th February 2019, 12:36 AM   #1052
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Different sound signature - classic Aksa harmonic profile (look at FFT spectrum in post 1) of moderately low distortion with predominantly 2nd harmonic and descending higher orders. Plus it has gain so that you don’t need a separate preamp. There will be a new motherboard that holds these DB’s so that you have a stand-alone preamp.

There will be volume control on the new MB. On the M2X as DB, no volume control.
Old 11th February 2019, 03:19 PM   #1053
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Preview of Melbourne MB:
Melbourne Daughterboard for M2X-mel-mb-3d-render-01-png
Old 15th February 2019, 12:09 AM   #1054
maf_au is offline maf_au  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Different sound signature - classic Aksa harmonic profile (look at FFT spectrum in post 1) of moderately low distortion with predominantly 2nd harmonic and descending higher orders. Plus it has gain so that you donít need a separate preamp. There will be a new motherboard that holds these DBís so that you have a stand-alone preamp.

There will be volume control on the new MB. On the M2X as DB, no volume control.
Hi xrk.

The Lender and the Melbourne are both built as pre-amps?

Can you explain the sound difference between the Lender and the Melbourne version for people like me that don't know what you have said, and don't know the difference?

Is the Melbourne more accurate, and how much difference?

If we use the Melbourne for the ACA Class A amp, is the method of running the ACA from it similar by changing resistors?

Still waiting for the Mundorfs here.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:44 AM   #1055
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Melbourne is same sound signature as Aksa Lender - it just can drive a lower impedance load. Plus had ability to be DC coupled on the output.
Old 17th February 2019, 06:29 PM   #1056
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Latest on Melbourne MB:
Melbourne Daughterboard for M2X-melbourner-mb-3d-01-png

Melbourne Daughterboard for M2X-melbourner-mb-3d-02-jpg
Old 20th February 2019, 06:56 PM   #1057
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Different sound signature - classic Aksa harmonic profile (look at FFT spectrum in post 1) of moderately low distortion with predominantly 2nd harmonic and descending higher orders. Plus it has gain so that you donít need a separate preamp. There will be a new motherboard that holds these DBís so that you have a stand-alone preamp.

I am indeed waiting for this motherboard. I have bought recently two stereo sets of your DB, one for M2x, one to go with motherboard for a separate preamp. What a great idea!

Russellc
Old 23rd February 2019, 03:55 AM   #1058
diyAudio Member

Finally, the Mundorfs arrived and installed them.

Sat down to listen to a few CD's and sounds good.

Unfortunately, adding the Mundorf has made no change to the cracking in the speakers if the volume is slightly above normal (no way I'm trying to make it very loud). It's sounds like the tweeters are crackling just above the normal volume.

That's a bit of a problem because the various of CD's have some different income volumes. If I set the volume up for quiet CD's it will make crackling if the next CD is starts.

So, is the problem something with my Lender pre-amp, or does the Pass ACA causes the crackling sounds when the volume is at the PASS AMP's limit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AKSALender12.jpg (191.8 KB, 153 views)
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:53 PM   #1059
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

If the sound happens only on high crescendos then it sounds like your ACA is clipping. You can tell if you connect a more powerful amplifier and crackling goes away. ACA is limited to 5w rms for 19v supply. 5w is 18vpp. Tweeters often draw high voltage transients on crescendos. You will hear this with soprano female vocals on opera, or piano played fortissimo or trumpets at full blast. The crackling is not caused by the Aksa Lender - but because Aksa Lender permits the 14dB gain of ACA to be driven to clipping levels.

An oscope will show clipping easily.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:31 PM   #1060
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response.

Ok, will drag out our old amp and test it. That sounds to be the problem, always has the tweeter making the crackling if the volume is up.

Next question: It sounds I will need more amp power. Can get another Pass ACA, would it make enough power for a variety of speakers or should I swap to something else with higher power to build? Would want something that sounds as good as the Pass.

AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp OutputHide this!Advertise here!