How To Make Passive High Pass Filter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oow goodie help already! :D

was hoping for something generic that i can swap between amps.
I use tpa3116/8, irs2092,tpa3250, tas5611, tpa3255, tk2050. I mainly use the tpa3116 black board for these speakers. I have attached the 2 Input Impedance related pages from the datasheet for the tpa3116. next looks like i need to find out what gain resistors are used to know the Input Impedance, right?

next ill get photos of the speakers
If you do come up with a working passive high pass network, it could be interchangeable only if the amps' input impedances are all the same. Possible, not too likely. Better to have a tailored network for each amp you use. -daab-

Hello cacao ambiance,

If I understand your question correctly, I had a similar issue a while ago. Due to room placement, my right speaker had a bit more low bass output than the left speaker, so I wanted to tame down the one with more output. My solution was to insert a capacitor between the output of my preamp and the input of the power amplifier for the right channel. I worked up a little spreadsheet to calculate the capacitance needed for the known input impedance of the power amplifier.

The first figure shows the simple schematic and the calculations for determining the -3dB frequency. The second figure calculates and plots the response curve.

In my case I used a pair of 0.1 MFD MusicCaps in series to get 0.05 MFD or 50 nF, which I thought was close enough to the calculated 47 nF for this application. This solution worked fine to tame the low bass output so the two speakers were better matched.

I hope this will be of some help.

Cheers,

ceulrich
So a first order, 6db/octave function did the trick? If so, it makes it fairly easy vs. implementing a second or higher order filter.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
With passive you're pretty much stuck with ....

Aside from the 3/6 typo---

ANY order passive filter can be built.

With caps and coils, any filter function can be done.

With only R-C (no coils), high-order filters are pretty lame (instead of a corner they roll off very slow).

In audio, where coils are extravagant, active filters are miracle workers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.