Volume control placement: DAC or Modulus-86?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I ask about Modulus-86 specifically because I bought them and intend to use them in balanced mode. Probably only source will be a soekris dam1021 (4V RMS buffered balanced output), maybe I get an AKM with balanced output though.

Is it better to have a digital volume control at DAC and no volume on the amp (same as amp at full volume, I guess) or, no volume on the DAC (programmatically set full volume) and place an analogue volume control on the amp?

Gut feeling tells me 1st option would be easier since second would need to take into account impedance changes and so on. Also, which is better in terms of sound quality?

Thank you

It is not easy to find a balanced volume control. Those that attempt it, generally destroy the balance of impedance that is fundamental to the common mode rejection ratio (CMRR).

There are volume controls designed to fit into balanced impedance circuits, but these convert the balanced impedance signal to unbalanced. Adjust the attenuation/gain. Then convert back from unbalanced to balanced impedance.
B.Putzeys' balanced volume control is an example of such a double conversion device.
The output of B.Putzeys' circuit is described in AN003 by Jensen.

Attachments

• an003(1).pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 51
  • The G Word13pages.pdf
    730.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
It is not easy to find a balanced volume control. (...) There are volume controls designed to fit into balanced impedance circuits, but these convert the balanced impedance signal to unbalanced. Adjust the attenuation/gain. Then convert back from unbalanced to balanced impedance. (...) If you need balanced impedance for the CMRR of interference then you must keep the balanced impedance all the way from DAC to Amplifier.

I see this option (volume control on the amp) is way too complex for my skills.

B.Putzeys' balanced volume control is an example of such a double conversion device.
The output of B.Putzeys' circuit is described in AN003 by Jensen.

Wow, nice articles, thank you! Will need some time to digest though :)

Check the DAC with adjustable volume, maintains the balanced impedance on it's output.

I think placing the volume on the DAC will be the easiest approach in my case (balanced input to amp). That simplifies design a lot as well, since DAC chassis can have all the rotaries (source and vol) and input/output, then leave the amp chassis with a simple on/off and output to speakers. Does this make sense?

Thank you again

I see this option (volume control on the amp) is way too complex for my skills...............
It is my opinion that the power amplifier belongs at the speaker with very short speaker cables.

If one places the power amplifiers beside their speakers, then it is not operationally convenient to locate all the volume controls at the (widely) distributed power amplifiers.
It would be nice to have a local volume control near to, or at least accessible from the listening seat.

That puts an "in amp volume control" out of the equation.

It is my opinion that the power amplifier belongs at the speaker with very short speaker cables.

If one places the power amplifiers beside their speakers, then it is not operationally convenient to locate all the volume controls at the (widely) distributed power amplifiers.
It would be nice to have a local volume control near to, or at least accessible from the listening seat.

That puts an "in amp volume control" out of the equation.

This makes a lot of sense. Maybe thinking about the vol in the amp is due to the usual approach used by the consumer audio equipment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.