Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Arcam AVP-600 humming
Arcam AVP-600 humming
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2017, 05:11 PM   #11
GringoAudio is offline GringoAudio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Rebuilt the dirty supply on the power supply board and added capacitance to one of the many other supplies distributed throughout the design. It had a wicked ripple. This cut the HF noise voltage in half but still have the LF hum although it is now quieter on Zone 1. It is still bad on Zone 2 and insane on headphones. Clues all to follow up this week.
Tracing this is hard with all the boards so close together and with some boards having surface mount components you cannot get a probe where you want to.
Old 31st October 2017, 04:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Giving up. It will be good enough for Home Theatre. Will use my Hafler for 2-channel.
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

A guy in Israel sells a kit of parts for the power supplies on the Main and so-called Power supply board. But all my DC rails are now providing clean power and I don't think I can do anymore in this regard by replacing all the regs and caps. He also says all the solder joints on the Main board need refluxing. Not worth it to me to put that much time and money into this thing. And also the PCB is off low quality and you must use a soldering iron at exactly 280 degrees C or the traces lift.
How could this thing possibly have been worth the money it cost new? Thank goodness I bought it used on Ebay for a tenth of the new cost.

But hum is still getting into the audio somewhere.

Last edited by GringoAudio; 3rd November 2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 5th November 2017, 04:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Arcam itself answered my questions and suggested the caps on either side of all the voltage regulators be replaced. I'm getting what looks like clean DC now so I don't understand why?
Old 5th November 2017, 10:07 PM   #15
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

You mentioned FM...

I remember one time I had an in ear-monitoring system (Live stage use) , that when I was close to the receiver or touched it although the plastic case, there was a loud hum on the speakers. Could some sort of strong RF emission in Your area be doing this. Is Your power grid noisy (I mean power hungry industry nearby ?) Try a computer PSU input filter on the mains input.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I will take it to a different building .... maybe to work and test it there.
I was beginning to think I was persona non grata here with no responses!
It sure is interesting digging around in there at least.

Arcam AVP-600 hummingHide this!Advertise here!