Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Preamp suitability
Preamp suitability
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2017, 08:22 AM   #1
goodguys is offline goodguys  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Preamp suitability

Hi And thanks for reading.

I have a home theatre receiver, and am using the line-out bass output on the back of the amp to drive an active subwoofer.

The problem is the output from the amp is not enough and consequently i am not getting enough bass from the active sub.

I am thinking about getting a small preamp to boost the bass output from the reciever, have googled but am getting a lot of returns for phono cartridge turntable preamps, the nad pp-1.

What do you think, would this be suitable, i could turn the gain for the bass output right down on the reciever so hopefully would not overload the preamp input, but it says something about magnetic input on the preamp, so is this a stupid question in the first place.

Last edited by jazbo8; 15th October 2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Change title
Old 15th October 2017, 08:37 AM   #2
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Preamp suitability
You do NOT want to use a phono preamp for the job. You want to get a line amp - a plain preamp. Did you try turning up the bass output (most likely in the setup menu) of the receiver?
Old 15th October 2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Preamp suitability
As above. A single opamp will do all you need configured as a simple gain stage.

You could also look at the receiver and sub circuit details and see if any easy way exists to change the output level or the gain (typically a resistor change).
Old 15th October 2017, 10:00 AM   #4
KatieandDad is offline KatieandDad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could try something like this.

Douk Audio Single-ended Class A Pre-Amplifier HiFi Preamp Mini Board DIY KIT | eBay

Although the single op-amp solution is less complex you would have to find a way of fitting all the components together.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:58 PM   #5
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Default An easier option to impliment

Hi you could also consider this option, it will work from a 12 to 24 VDC SMPS so would be a lot easier to install. Have used one myself for a similar application. Cheers
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
Old 15th October 2017, 01:17 PM   #6
KatieandDad is offline KatieandDad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Once you start looking you will find plenty of options.

DC/AC 12v~15v Audio OP Preamps NE5532 AMP Hi-Fi Pre-Amplifier Board PHILPS | eBay
Old 16th October 2017, 06:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I did turn up the bass output, unfortunatly the reciever i have is the arcam avr600 which is temperamental, there are quite a few reviews about this, and arcam's in-house design attempts.
I think after this arcam purchased a lot of their circuitry from analog devices.
When i turn up the bass it allows me a few db, but then anything over that all the other channels start dropping in volume. Strange amp, works well when it feels like it.
I will try out the preamps you have mentioned on ebay, is there a uk supplier for these as all the links are to china.
Old 16th October 2017, 12:45 PM   #8
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

nope, all the low prices are from China where they only pay 70p / hour for labour rates. cheers
Old 16th October 2017, 03:18 PM   #9
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Preamp suitability
Assuming its a single mono preamp you need then something like this might be suitable.

Universal Mono Pre-Amp Kit - VELLEMAN KIT | CPC
Old 20th October 2017, 07:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Looking at the velleman kit, is the marking af in /out meaning audio frequency in and audio frequency out? Where is the power supply in?

Preamp suitabilityHide this!Advertise here!