Preamp suitability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi And thanks for reading.

I have a home theatre receiver, and am using the line-out bass output on the back of the amp to drive an active subwoofer.

The problem is the output from the amp is not enough and consequently i am not getting enough bass from the active sub.

I am thinking about getting a small preamp to boost the bass output from the reciever, have googled but am getting a lot of returns for phono cartridge turntable preamps, the nad pp-1.

What do you think, would this be suitable, i could turn the gain for the bass output right down on the reciever so hopefully would not overload the preamp input, but it says something about magnetic input on the preamp, so is this a stupid question in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As above. A single opamp will do all you need configured as a simple gain stage.

You could also look at the receiver and sub circuit details and see if any easy way exists to change the output level or the gain (typically a resistor change).

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I did turn up the bass output, unfortunatly the reciever i have is the arcam avr600 which is temperamental, there are quite a few reviews about this, and arcam's in-house design attempts.
I think after this arcam purchased a lot of their circuitry from analog devices.
When i turn up the bass it allows me a few db, but then anything over that all the other channels start dropping in volume. Strange amp, works well when it feels like it.
I will try out the preamps you have mentioned on ebay, is there a uk supplier for these as all the links are to china.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.