tone controls in feedback network - the best approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually is more like 15db down (payed more attention to it). Doing the same readings with RMAA, all parameters equal, and using the same volume pot position i got 15db less in RMAA meters so had to turn it up from 9:00 o'clock position to 11h30 position (vol pot)

Always used at 9:00 o'clock position with my media center. Now i'm using at 11h30 for the same overall volume while listening to music and movies. Mind that i use windows volume to attenuate so i can watch some very quiet movies at 100% and music at normally 50% windows volume.

Last edited:
Don't you have a "PURE DIRECT" button (blue led) on the front panel, it should bypass all types of filters and DSP, I find the sound cleaner and more lax in a positive way when engaged.

I just noticed with one Yamaha receiver that, when bass/treble knob is set to 0.0dB it also disengage the filter, that's why the sound disappears momentarily Only for the first step when going from 0.0dB to +0.5dB or -0.5dB, all the other steps between +0.5dB --> +6.0dB....and......-0.5dB --> -6.0dB aren't interrupting the music playback while turning the bass/treble knob.

But it seems you gained from the mod, bypassing longer path and circuits usually should potentially decrease crosstalk and other interferences. :)

hi!

No pure direct or nothing of the sort on this model.
And controls at 0 don't disengage the circuit in this amp and cause subtle but audible skewing of Freq. Response. A whole 1 db difference between low mids and treble, favouring the treble. Yamaha claims -+0.5 20to20k so -0.5@300 and +0.5@8khz still within spec. Now is ruler flat. Noise, IMD and crosstalk parameters improved significantly. Noise improved significantly because voltage gain was lowered on power amp.
See the graphs below. First one is after mod.

Attachments

• after tone yamaha.png
    after tone yamaha.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 70
  • before tone yamaha.png
    before tone yamaha.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
:magnet:
The lost gain apparently is still a mistery, but my ears are happy.
For what it's worth graphs are happy too.

Big thanks to Mooly and others that had the patience in helping.

Attachments

• rmaa mod tone.png
    rmaa mod tone.png
    161 KB · Views: 53
  • DR.png
    DR.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 58
  • imd.png
    imd.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.