Standby/Auto Off-On

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

Is there a way to have a relay for automatically shutting down a diy amp when there is no input (stereo line-in) source?

I made a quick search on the forum and google but no success... (google is not my friend :) )

Sorry if I didn't post in the good topic...

Thanks for your help

Joined 2011
Is there a way to have a relay for automatically shutting down a diy amp when
there is no input (stereo line-in) source?

Yes, you buffer, mono, rectify, and filter the signal, then use the presence of this DC voltage
for a timer circuit that enables a relay that switches the power on. If the DC stops,
the timer starts, and after a preset time interval, the relay and power are switched off.

Hi guys,
Thanks for your answers.
So basically I have to check what is the voltage on my line-in when it' s on and search for a relay with timer to shutdown?
I suppose this relay must be powered for working? The idea was to switch off the input 230v and not only mute the input.

Joined 2011
Joined 2011
Hi,

I used this circuit fo many years.
It is more complicated, but it discriminates between a spike on the power line and music signal ... so it detects a music signal safely.
The switch-on is done with two solidstate relais on of which is delayed.
The first relais soft-switches the connected power electronics via a bunch of power resistors.

jauu
Calvin

Attachments

• Automatic Switch Power schem - small.jpg
    Automatic Switch Power schem - small.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 707
Never have done it myself, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to utilize the zero-detection offered by some DAC ICs, such as PCM1738, that puts out a logic level when prolonged digital silence is detected. That would be more reliable than directly sensing the analog signal level, especially if it is for musics of huge dynamic range, classical music for example, that a passage of pianissimo can have the amp turned off at a wrong time in the latter case. Just a thought.

Hi,

the description reads 'voltage regulator' and I guess it are Vregs with dedicated enable input.
In that case You still need some signal treatment in front of the enable input before You can use the device.
The treatment should be as such that a music signal from a certain minimum volume level on is detected safely and discriminated against noise and spikes.
But then You can use a simple comparator stage or FliPFlop instead of a Vreg with EN input.

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.