Fully adjustable three-way active crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Varying x/o points will still not deliver the desired behaviour of any x/o filter: if it cannot correct non-flat SPL's it will simply not work properly. Acoustic slopes, that is driver+filter, not simply electric, is what any serious loudspeaker designer should be after.

Still, curious to see what the designer comes up with anno 2017. It has to be nothing less than spectacular to be able to compete with digital.

Any schematics available?

Eelco

Boden,
Did you look at any of the article, the PCB, or the introduction? Do you believe your points would not have been addressed?
Did you read this, "For those who might not want to go the digital option, this may be an attractive option;"? Did you not read that the article is pay for view?

Boden,
You don't have a "case". I shared information so that everyone could make a decision on whether it might be of some use to them.

scottjoplin,
The crossover allows for level settings for a whole band but not for non-flat responses. Apart from inserting individual filters, analogue crossovers do do that. I am always fascinated that some choose non-flat drivers.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
You can download the LTSpice file here. It appears to be a very simple design, circa the '70's, but with modern opamps and SMD components.

30278_5lo.jpg

Thanks Tromperie for the post. I'm sorry that some other members are so quick to jump on you when all you are doing is sharing something that may be of interest to some other members. I for one found it interesting. Sure, this is a DIY community and that project is definitely DIY although not to everybody's taste. And if you are in Australia or New Zealand, a quick trip to your local public library will allow you to borrow and read for free.....I have it here in front of me borrowed yesterday.

It is a pretty standard Sallen-Key circuit in pairs to produce 24dB slopes. It uses eight ganged Bourns pots in order to be able to adjust the crossover points. Personally I learnt a bit from reading the article as I am not as experienced as some (most!) and these articles give a good overview of the entire practical circuit operation.

I can see how this would be useful for experimenting on differing crossover points when developing a system. I have a biamped system and use a Marchand XM1 crossover that I assembled a decade ago. It would have been useful at the time to be able to instantly try differing crossover points.

How often does it have to be repeated?

Textbook circuits, even with adjustable x/o points, are not going to provide acceptable acoustic slopes for a x/o. It is the acoustic output that matters. The individual in-box speaker SPL and phase characteristics need to be taken into account in the design,. This is where and why all the textbook circuits go wrong. Period.

In case you want something useful, look here. This filter at least takes both baffle step and tweeter delay into consideration. Analog Active Crossover PCB.
Also, a Nelson Pass active analogue version for the LX Mini. Please take notice how non-textbook the filter slopes are Buffer for Pass' LXmini OX/EQ
Still both of the above are dedicated solutions that only work for a specific application and drivers. There is no general approach possible.

Good luck,

Eelco

Status
Not open for further replies.