Looking for a good preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi DiyGazza,
I'm sure they will. Humans have a great capacity to be satisfied with the best they have heard ... until they hear something better. Your journey will be a series of small revelations as it is with all of us. I wouldn't worry about it since having something made is more important than making the very best you can find which will probably never make it out of partial completion status. Something better always seems to be right around the corner.

No worries, get building!!

-Chris

I haven't mentioned this before, but I'm actually using a pair of Vintage Quad II's with the 22 preamp, and Keith Snook RIAA Phono input Stage Modification.
But, with grandchildren around and coming downstairs in the morning only to find Two very expensive Mullard EF86 valves rolling around on the floor, Im thinking about getting rid of them for something a bit more child proof, I would be sorry to see them go, but maybe it's time to go with something more child proof and practical for the space I have

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi DiyGazza,
Can't the equipment be mounted higher? Somehow I can't see you being satisfied with much of the new products around.

I have a tube system - and grand kids. Firstly, they know that they touch nothing in the living room, and the stereo is in a cabinet I had made years ago. That includes a very nice Thorens TD-126 MKII and expensive Ortofon cartridge. Same goes for the other sound systems hanging around here. Hands off is the rule, and they get it. Same goes for Anita's small breakable things placed all around the house. Our kids were brought up that way and trained in how to use things before they were allowed to touch them. They did other destructive things, but the fragile stuff survived them. I'm proud to say that their kids also understand this. It's not a fear thing, it is a respect thing.

See if you can move your system, or buy a "container" for it instead of losing that nice stuff.

-Chris

Hi DiyGazza,
Can't the equipment be mounted higher? Somehow I can't see you being satisfied with much of the new products around.

I have a tube system - and grand kids. Firstly, they know that they touch nothing in the living room, and the stereo is in a cabinet I had made years ago. That includes a very nice Thorens TD-126 MKII and expensive Ortofon cartridge. Same goes for the other sound systems hanging around here. Hands off is the rule, and they get it. Same goes for Anita's small breakable things placed all around the house. Our kids were brought up that way and trained in how to use things before they were allowed to touch them. They did other destructive things, but the fragile stuff survived them. I'm proud to say that their kids also understand this. It's not a fear thing, it is a respect thing.

See if you can move your system, or buy a "container" for it instead of losing that nice stuff.

-Chris

Hi Chris, Yes you are absolutlely right, the older Grandkids understand, and I have shown them why they must not touch them, and explained that they get very hot, so might burn themselves if they touch them, I now have another two very young ones who also need to learn.

After this little incident I put the Quads in a locked cabinet for several years, and have only recently got them out to use again, luckily they still sound as good as ever.

If and when my eldest Daughter and Husband ever move out, we intend to have a complete re shuffle and redecorate so I will have chance build something up out of the way, I'm also contemplating fixing a Marble Plinth to the wall for my Rega to stand on :D

That's a relief!

Haha, Yes, I will probably give this new preamp a try on the quads, The 22 control unit does have its good and bad points, and I probably spend more time fiddling about with the slope and filters and trying to remember if I liked the last setting better than the one I had just tried, or the way I had it set before that, this is why I asked about a basic preamp, less to fiddle with, more time listening :)

It's handy to have some basic tone controls to make subtle adjustments to mixes you find lacking. But the key is only to make small changes, invariably large amounts of boost or cut will do more harm than good. I lived for years without tone controls and didn't miss them, now I find a little treble boost helps with my hearing loss

It's handy to have some basic tone controls to make subtle adjustments to mixes you find lacking. But the key is only to make small changes, invariably large amounts of boost or cut will do more harm than good. I lived for years without tone controls and didn't miss them, now I find a little treble boost helps with my hearing loss

I totally agree, going back to my old 80's setup, and Trio amp, I never used the loudness control, Bass was set anywhere between it's mid point and 1 0' Clock, and Treble probably 1 - 2 0' Clock, just a subtle adjustment.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It would help if manufacturers limited the range to 6 dB or less.

I find that with a good system, tone and loudness controls remain unused. I haven't used mine in more than 20 years in fact. Ever since I got my Marantz system, 300DC amp, 3650 preamp and 2120 tuner. Then later, I improved them (except the 3650. There is nothing to do in there). As speakers got better, the urge to mess with the sound got less and less.

-Chris

It would help if manufacturers limited the range to 6 dB or less.

I find that with a good system, tone and loudness controls remain unused. I haven't used mine in more than 20 years in fact. Ever since I got my Marantz system, 300DC amp, 3650 preamp and 2120 tuner. Then later, I improved them (except the 3650. There is nothing to do in there). As speakers got better, the urge to mess with the sound got less and less.

-Chris

I miss my old Goodmans Magister Speakers, with 15" Woofers, a lot of people will say they were rubbish, but I loved them, not because they had a lot of bass, but the bass had depth, and the B&W 602's I have now just don't complete, I also noticed that I had to have the treble set Higher with the 602's than I ever did with the Magisters, Good old days :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.