Great sounding Tube preamplifier kit recommendation!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you so much Warren for the prompt details, photos, review, thoughts and feedbacks on SP-14. I think I make up my mind to pick SP-14. Funny that you mentioned Salas Phono stage since I also built that phono stage not too long ago. It has alot of little matching details of Jfets, LED, transistors to be done but it was a fun project. The sound is amazing. Very comparable and somewhat better than Pearl 2 phono stages in some aspects. I contacted Don Sachs and he had one of the newly built upgrade model like the one you built with Tube showcased on top of the wooden chassis from one of his customer on sale with everything updated including tubes/output caps, rectifier and some of his own recipes of wiring. Your post just help me make up my mind to go with that option instead. It will save me some time to build + I have everything updated without having to look hard and source the parts like other projects in the past.

Good luck Tommy. I bought only the pcb and documentation from the designers. Sourced everything else myself. As noted, I've got well over $2000 in the project, so I think you've made a good move. Also, a component assembled by a known builder, like Don Sachs, would be much easier to re-sell than one you built yourself, no matter how good a job you did.

Totally agree on the Salas phono stage. Terrific sound, I'll never give it up. Don't know if you used the Z-Foil resistors, they were expensive, but, IMO, well worth it.

Wow, Thank you everyone so very much for a lot of valuable advices, inputs and information. I’m still taking my time to go through everything and digest new information. Please keep them coming for others like myself that want to learn about tube!

As many people have suggested Aikido preamp kit, I did spend some time to really look through each kit and their technical details. The more I look at them, the more appealing they get.

So I have a few more questions. This time only focuses on Aikido preamp kit. If you have already built/owned them, please help share your thoughts, inputs, and advices. I’m only after the end sonic quality results

There are a lot of varieties from John’s glassware website for preamps. There are 2 sub categories that are most interested to me

1. Aikido line-stage preamp: Which of the kit below sounds best ?
a. All in one tube rectifier (This kit uses noval tube + onboard rectifier for PS)
b. Aikido LV
c. Aikido Octal
d. Aikido Noval
Is the All in one kit the same as Aikido Noval kit ? except Noval doesn’t have the onboard rectifier PS ? How’s different b/w Octal and Noval kit ? I mean in term of sound quality, aesthetic feeling b/w 2 different types and availability to search for tubes in each type

2. CCDA line-stage kits
a. How’s the sound of CCDA compared to the above line-stage preamp? Are they better or different?
b. How’s different b/w Octal and Noval version. Again, what I mean is in term of sound quality and availability to search for tubes for each type.

Last but not least, I cannot find a soft copy version of the user manual of any of the kits listed above from John’s glassware website. In some kits, he provided the URL link but the link is no longer working. For those that purchased the kit, did it come with the hardcopy of the user guide that explains all the wiring/schematics of CKT and PS, BOM for each component, what type of transformers to use. Also, if you happen to have a soft copy of these kits, can you please share it with me ?

Thank you so much for taking your time to go through my post and answers to some of my questions. and Sorry if I have too many questions, but I guess that’s the only way to learn :)

Really appreciate your time and your inputs
Best regards,
Tom

I built the Noval kit a few years back. My build is a 2 chassis design and is fully dual mono. I used a pair of his PS-2 power supplies with a pair of SumR custom transformers. The amp is dead quiet and sounds great. The only negative I have is that there is a bit too much gain.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/71300-photo-gallery-600.html#post3871751

Instruction manual does come with the kit. Note that the manual is a bit hard to follow and requires thought from the builder. This is not a hand held build, but help is available here.

Me

I want to know what makes DHT different from the other tubes, so I also would like to see the IMD plot of DHT preamps at different levels. THD seems to be low with them.

answer is in the geometry of tube, therefore curves, therefore distortion profile
guess why people swear about best sound dht´s, and mostly the really old ones . not made today
30´s and older designs - 10y,px4,841,01a...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Tube preamp

I built an SP14 pre about four years back. I had prior to that built Roy's PH15 phono amp and had been impressed by the quality of the boards and other parts.
I supplied my own cases for each build. I am very happy with the SQ of both items. For the SP14, looking at the cost of the 6SN7 tubes I decided to use 12SN7. I found the build for both amplifiers to be straightforward and I managed to work out almost all queries myself. I had to email Roy a couple of times and found him to be helpful.
I would not consider asking anyone else to build an amp for me. I like to learn as I go along, enjoy the feeling that I built the kit and of course save money. Remember that gear from diy kit suppliers does not generally hold it's value as much as an item from a well known manufacturer bought second hand.
I do have an issue with my SP14. It's an odd fault - something like RF interference perhaps that causes some low level modulated tones. It comes and goes. I need to sort it out and will ask advice on here. Not heard of any other owners having this so I wouldn't be put off.
I like what I hear about the DHT preamps and would like to build one when my other projects are finished (including Paradise phono).
Good luck with whatever you end up with but consider building your own pre from a kit. There's so much satisfaction in doing so and you could move on to scratch builds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.