Passive/active preamp (transformers, resitors)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I have balanced source on ES9018 and balanced beta22. Besides this intend to assemble stax balanced amplifier. Wanted to use some high quality volume control for all amplifiers.
It is dilemma what is best choice: TVC transformers or resistive preamp. Transformers could be choosen between Sowter 9335, S&B, Silk STA-522A and others.
For resistive preamp must be use buffer. I choose amb alpha24 with opams OPA1612, OPA1632, fully-differential outputs. Also good choice is Khozmo preamps with z-foil resistor. The best performance gives ladder or buffer stepped attenuators. Quality of resistors does matter. Best choice is z-foil.
The main question: what is bestes - transformers or resistive preamp? Needed ultimate sound quality after simple volume control.
What your opinion?

For TVC you could wind one yourself on a ferrite core. I bought myself some suitable cores a while back - the bobbins had dozens of pins to bring out lots of tap points from the windings. Since acquiring them though I've been too lazy to get on and build them into TVCs.

I don't have any experience of buying audio kit on eBay so I'll pass on your second question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.