Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I examined the 2CP-2511 TKD 20k model. It measures 18k across and has 4.5k Zo at the 1/2 signal division point. Derived from output signal level drop when applying known loads.

For all intents and purposes its nominal value should be chosen for replacing same nominal value series pots. Because a series has max Zo a quarter of its Zin.

A series would not max out anywhere else than at the 1/2 division point. The TKD Zo also shows 6.3k at 1/4 and 4k at 3/4 division. Its an own kind of pot. But the Zo range is compatible enough.

Attachments

• TKD 20k.jpg
    TKD 20k.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 344
Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Mu Metal sheets installation helped to reduce some small grass in low frequency region on my DCG3, but didn’t kill the targeted 60Hz spike with its harmonics.
I chased down all over for several evenings and ….. I did find out that this is all in my analyzer setup cables. Salas mentioned that once when we discussed cheap RCA to TRS adapters.
Tried several other homemade cables with these cheap ¼ TRS adapters with mostly same results.
Some are more noisy than the others, but all have same picks at the same exact points as on my image during loop test.
I tried to use XLR input on Focusrite and it’s got even worth for that noise.
Since spikes frequency points locations, amplitude and shape are exactly same as during my DCG3 test, then would be correct to say that my DCG3 is totally clean and these spikes are the artifact from my spectrum FFT setup.
I ordered bulk Mogami MG-2893 two sets with prof assembly for rec-studios. One with ¼ TRS-to-RCA, but the second one is ordered by mistake with RCA-to-XLR.
I’ll probably going to remove XLR and will solder some decent quality ¼ TRS. Lets see if these will resolve my issue for future FFT needs.

IMG_2676.jpg

Last edited:
Salas, got my 10k TKD pot installed. Used a 3.01k resistor, didn’t have any 2.2k. Overall impressions? I once described this preamp as a “ window on the world”, well somebody just found the windex ! Blacker backgrounds, smoother, but the bass, clean, airy, articulate and musical all the way down to dc. THE best bass I have ever heard in my 67 years on the planet. My hat is off to you Salas ! Bravo ! I have different bc327-40 to try next, will check back in later. Mark