Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Great news. Congratulations. :)
Nice with the LCD-2s as we were confident by their test data they will be driven well even with your milder bias/gain settings and so it went.
But its also nice to know its a success for you in another role too. I.e active monitors line level drive (through long cables in your setup?). Genelec is a very respected Finish company in the recording monitors sector. They are especially good in doing compact ones like that G3 of yours. Which I have listened to. But I also like their big three ways along those from Klein & Hummel. Do post some pics of your finished DCG3 whenever possible if you may.
The cables from DCG3 to speakers are approx. 2 m long. Please find attached a few pics taken merely with my iPhone. I know the wiring is a bit of mess, but after all the main thing for me is that the preamp is quiet, so it's hard to find motivation for making it more tidy. Also I run out of silver wire, so I had to put some black coax cable into the mix as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 825
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 759
Joined 2006
Paid Member
But he used the Mains Bulb Tester to prove no error in PSU wiring before he added the amplifier/s !

And if he comes back and tells you he did not check his PSU then I suggest you consider sending him to the sin bin for a week.

He, he, but its not in the forum''s rules :D

Maybe time to make it a new rule and place a sticky advice somewhere.
How many questions would that eliminate from our Beginners/Improvers/Intermediates/Advanced/Professionals?

Off course I did test the PSU before installation. It did not sing when just loaded with 200ohm resistors.

The mechanical noise only appears after connecting it to the real load.

There are no wiring errors... everything was verified.

with a gain of 3x in the pre-amp and 6x in the F5 you have a total gain of 18times (+25.1dB).
The maximum output of the F5 is ~14 to 15Vac
Your sensitivity for maximum power is ~800mVac
What are you using as your sources?

Andrew, Iam aware of the math. I know I can drive the amp to full power with 3x or 4x. But the f5 is an amp that seems to prefer some preamp gain.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Been listening to my rig in the main system and now I start do understand it's strengths...

Bass control and detail are on another league compared to my DCB1

Mids are well behaved and voices come out clear and well blended.

As for the highs, these are very good with extension and without harshness.

It sounds better than the gainwire and highs are more fluid.

The extra gain is welcome in my setup.

It lacks the ultimate spatiality I can get with the DCB1 but overall presentation has more guts.

Must find an AD823 (could not find it with legs) so I am using a OPA2604AP

Last edited:
Been listening to my rig in the main system and now I start do understand it's strengths...

It lacks the ultimate spatiality I can get with the DCB1 but overall presentation has more guts.

Apart from the AD823 going dual mono helps a lot too.

hi Salas,

I finally wrapped mine up today and I'm listening now. Biased to 112 mA, virtually zero DC offset. Big Kudos to Teabag for such a well matched parts kit. I'm loving the sound, very good base control and detail, excellent mids and transparent highs. bests my Aikido preamps, more control and detail. I'm using it with a Pass M2 amp now, great imaging, and depth. Many thanks for another wonderful design.

Paul

Attachments

• complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 574
hi Salas,

I finally wrapped mine up today and I'm listening now. Biased to 112 mA, virtually zero DC offset. Big Kudos to Teabag for such a well matched parts kit. I'm loving the sound, very good base control and detail, excellent mids and transparent highs. bests my Aikido preamps, more control and detail. I'm using it with a Pass M2 amp now, great imaging, and depth. Many thanks for another wonderful design.

Paul

Are those Antek toriods?

nash

Joined 2006
Paid Member
hi Salas,

I'm loving the sound, very good base control and detail, excellent mids and transparent highs. bests my Aikido preamps, more control and detail.

I never realized how exceptional the bass control is until I watched "The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared". Streamed it over amazon, but the low end sounds during some blast scenes was great :)
The movie was a funny blast as well.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Off to a good start then. Well done. Must run in a bit more though and also be tweaked for details since its not the standard mix of elements build. Needing little more imaging? No worries. Its one of its highlights usually, you will nail it.

Two TX, four shunts.... maybe i will try it also

Two Tx two DCSTB is easier.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi Salas,

Paul

After a couple of hours listening, I've got to say that this is the best sound I've heard out of my system. I'm very pleased with this build.

Nice one Paul and congrats. Enjoy :)