Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

It's alive!

attachment.php

For the moment it's powered by my LM317/337 "test" power supply.

I've set bias at 150mA since I'm testing it with power-hungry Fostex T50RP MK3 headphones.

All 4 of my Ebay-sourced uPA parts measured exactly the same, so no matching was necessary.

I measured ~20 x BC560C to find 4 of exactly the same Hfe.

The BF256Bs that I got from Mouser were pretty strong. I used 220R for the two R3s, getting 4.3mA and 4.5mA Id respectively.

I bought 4 x DN2540 from Mouser, and used the 2 of them that measured the closest. The end result was about 10mA of difference in bias between the 2 channels.

My total current consumption is ~330mA for the positive rail and ~320mA for the negative one.

DC offset drift after warmup and adjustments was +/- 3mV without the op-amp installed. Went to 1mV with the op-amp. It might be even less, my meter won't go lower.

It had gotten pretty late so I didn't do any serious listening, but first impressions are very very postive. I'll do more listening and with a better source and power supply in the days to come.

Attachments

• Salas_DCG3_1 (Large).jpg
    Salas_DCG3_1 (Large).jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 972
I have two of the same multi-tapped transformers (found another one!) with secondary winding's of: 0v-9v-12v-15v-18v-21v-24v-30v

Each DCSTB requires an AC input of AC-CT-AC.
I'm not sure: Using my transformers, should I use the following taps for AC-CT-AC: 0v-9v-18v?

Thanks
if you make the 15Vac tap equal to your zero volts you end up with:15, 6, 3, 0, 3 , 6, 9, 15Vac
or if you make the zero volts at the 18V tap you get:
18, 9, 6, 0, 3, 6, 12Vac. Notice this has only one symetrical pairs.
Whereas the first offers three symetrical pairs.
You also have:
9, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 21Vac when the 9Vac is made the zero volts
and:
12, 3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 18Vac when the 12Vac is made to be zero volts.

I can see symetrical options of 3Vac, 6Vac, 9Vac, 12Vac and 15Vac
but these are NOT all available at the same time. You have to choose the option that is most useful and then keep that Zero Volt tap fixed at that tapping.

I got my project playing music for the first time today. Just an iPhone and Spotify as a source for quick test, but everything seemed to be working ok. Infected Mushroom seemed to pound the bass as it should with my LCD-2's. Still need to finish and tidy up the wirings and make a hole in the front plate for 6,3 mm headphone connector. I think I might have to lower the gain, since even with iPhone I had volume only on level 25/50. I have LDR vol. control and it's set to 20 kohms impedance. My current gain is 3x, but I still need to test the DCG3 with my Genelec G3 active speakers before tweaking.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    907.8 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    956.5 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think it might be more along lines of "Audio" and "Ease" or contraction of "easy audio"flipped. At least that is what I think where it comes from...

Cool explanation scenario, makes sense.

BTW I took some loopback shots of my "ancient" interface that runs properly on Win XP only. Two are with a meter long cheapo cable on HiZ and LowZ input config (1MegΩ with jack, 1.5kΩ with RCA to XLR adapter) last one is with short cable sans adapters. You should be able to achieve better than your now base line of interference and residual THD with the modern Focusrite I would suppose and its worth investigating as the DUT included loopback result looks suspiciously like the interface loopback alone times gain and the more exposed area to interference same type of pick up. Its not a measurements thread I know, and we better don't expand in general lab issues talk, but I include them since that thing came along and they might give you a lead.

Attachments

• LCHZ.jpg
    LCHZ.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 609
  • LC_HighZ.png
    LC_HighZ.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 320
  • LCLZ.jpg
    LCLZ.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 283
  • LC_LowZ.png
    LC_LowZ.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 291
  • SCHZ.jpg
    SCHZ.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 268
  • SC_HighZ.png
    SC_HighZ.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 256
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wonder if all this low freq junk I am seeing osndie to the USB powered line. The laptop is unplugged and on battery so not sure where 60Hz is coming from. Yours looks exceptionally clean. It may be that the Solo is baseline model and not as clean? I am using a nice quality RCA cable (1m) with RCA to TRS adapter in one channel and RCA to wire to unbalanced TRS input. Is it because I am using TRS in unbalanced mode? Some more debugging needed.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Anne Bisson

Spot the cans studio video time :D DT-770 Beyers reign the scene but the vocalist will wear open backs (HD595s?) most of the time. For looks I suspect because in the real recording take they could leak to the mic plus the particulars are not a studio cred model. There could be Vgeorge's V6 Sonys also on the drummer's head for a moment. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZ0Xbyzjw4

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I wonder if all this low freq junk I am seeing osndie to the USB powered line. The laptop is unplugged and on battery so not sure where 60Hz is coming from. Yours looks exceptionally clean. It may be that the Solo is baseline model and not as clean? I am using a nice quality RCA cable (1m) with RCA to TRS adapter in one channel and RCA to wire to unbalanced TRS input. Is it because I am using TRS in unbalanced mode? Some more debugging needed.

All those pics I posted are in unbalanced mode to be relevant. RCA to TRS adapters everywhere there also.

Here's the Focusrite 2i2 on a clean self loop. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/266853-behringer-focusrite.html

The REW sweeps seem to curiously peak towards the HF there too, yet another quirky thing you spotted before.

Spot the cans studio video time :D DT-770 Beyers reign the scene but the vocalist will wear open backs (HD595s?) most of the time. For looks I suspect because in the real recording take they could leak to the mic plus the particulars are not a studio cred model. There could be Vgeorge's V6 Sonys also on the drummer's head for a moment. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZ0Xbyzjw4

Not HD595's. They look like HD555's.

Jim

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Did you also notice those large gunshot earmuff like phones the drummer wore in the Pidgeon clip? Those have Sony 7506 drivers inside. They are specials for high isolation called UltraPhones. Drummers must protect their hearing the most as the kit is loud and if it leaks in enough they pump up the volume of their foldback mix in the cans too. So they end up with ringing ears after longish sessions or when performing loud live events. In Ear monitors do that job well too.