Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Been listening to my rig in the main system and now I start do understand it's strengths...

----

It sounds better than the gainwire and highs are more fluid.

The extra gain is welcome in my setup.

It lacks the ultimate spatiality I can get with the DCB1 but overall presentation has more guts.

Must find an AD823 (could not find it with legs) so I am using a OPA2604AP

Which gainwire? Mk2 or MK3

OK, after playing with the DCG3 on headphones for a couple days and being pretty impressed I figure its fully broken in at about 40 hours. So I decided to do a little shootout with the Pass BA-3 pre in my speaker system for a couple hours...I made it fair, same ICs, same power cord, etc.

My DCG3 is single mono using a a lm317/337 followed by a cap multiplier. 10K SMD stepper pot for now (20K on the way). 3X gain (I'd like some more...will change to 4 or 5X)

BA-3 is single mono, Jung super reg, 25K ladder pot.

I gotta say, I like the DCG3 better than the BA-3...I didn't think I would but I do. Both preamps are nice, for sure. And to be honest, they are both great and somewhat similar. But there are differences.

DCG3 sounds more effortless, less overhang. Bass is deeper and less sloppy. Vocals are more present and a little more weighty. And higher in space. Width seems similar. Depth is perhaps a little better and overall a little less forward.

But the big thing is DETAIL. The DCG3 has sneaky good detail, not just treble lift. Voices trail off with naturalness, cymbals seem fully formed and dimensional. I think some of the "intenseness" people have commented about is because the sound is very cohesive and rich. It's the kind of cohesive naturalness and richness you hear in real life but is hard to reproduce in playback. Kind of like switching from Mp3 to hi-res. It just seems more natural and effortless. Your brain doesn't have to work as hard.

A positive for the BA-3 is it sounds a little more "liquid", perhaps due to the sloppier bass and it is a little less composed and tight. Some might prefer it. But the detail difference between it and the BA-3 is noticeable. Also, the BA-3 is tunable for harmonics and I have it set where I prefer it...so some time has been spent tuning it to my ears.

Now I have to figure out if I need TWO dcg3, one for headphones at work and one for my speaker setup...

Exactly. At 3x with vinyl I run out of volume control right about at clipping. A little more gain will help me have a few notches of volume left for other sources or quiet albums. Also, I think a little more gain adds dynamics and weight and snap. Iam not talking about a lot of gain...remember, I only have 15db in the power amp. I don't think 30-35db of system gain is unreasonable. Many power amps have this much gain by themselves.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its all about the loudspeakers. 100dB sensitive horns are usually a good match to 20dB integrated amps. You add voltage gain as much difference in sensitivity you have down from there is a rather good rule of thumb I say. 88dB speakers on 32dB system gain above line input for example. And so on and so forth.

hi Salas,

I finally wrapped mine up today and I'm listening now. Biased to 112 mA, virtually zero DC offset. Big Kudos to Teabag for such a well matched parts kit. I'm loving the sound, very good base control and detail, excellent mids and transparent highs. bests my Aikido preamps, more control and detail. I'm using it with a Pass M2 amp now, great imaging, and depth. Many thanks for another wonderful design.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Congrats on completing your build.

May I ask what are the chassis dimensions?

So I'm assuming you're using standard RCA cables for the active monitors instead of balanced cables?
Some studio monitors have unbalanced inputs and some don't.

Actually these monitors have both RCA and XLR connectors. The DCG3 is connected to XLR terminals via semi-balanced RCA/XLR cable and my AV amp is connected to RCA terminals with regular RCA cables.

I notice you have two greens together at the center tap. The Anteks have their phase dots on each blue so I think one green and one blue should be in the CT. Perhaps Andrew T can chime in.

I'm hoping Andrew does, but it the meantime it does sound great.

I have and use several Anteks.
CT is one blue and one green on all of mine.

If you don't connect phases correctly you get 18VAC accross each secondary but you don't get 36VAC from side to side. PSU works in this case - tested - but I don't know if there are any consequences...
Manufacturers can get the phasing codes wrong during manufacture.
That's why the Builder has to test/measure as assembly progresses.
Use a Mains Bulb Tester and measure the secondary voltages before and after connecting the PSU.
This all BEFORE attaching any amplifier !

Joined 2009
Paid Member
hi Salas,

I finally wrapped mine up today and I'm listening now. Biased to 112 mA, virtually zero DC offset. Big Kudos to Teabag for such a well matched parts kit. I'm loving the sound, very good base control and detail, excellent mids and transparent highs. bests my Aikido preamps, more control and detail. I'm using it with a Pass M2 amp now, great imaging, and depth. Many thanks for another wonderful design.

Paul

Nicely done Paul. That's how I envision mine looking when the chassis arrives from Modushop.