Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2016, 08:59 AM   #451
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashbap View Post
Salas, for a line output build what is the preferred bias. Is higher a bit better subjectively?
nash
No. I run 100mA myself. Which is already very high bias for line duty lets not forget. For 60 Ohm or lower impedance headphones its better though. But you can try yourself to also compare for any use since there will be two sets of resistors at hand.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:08 AM   #452
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Exclamation DCG3 R3 value

The now BF256B (J3) batch in Tea's hands is too strong for 4-5mA correct Id in circuit when R3=150R. Expect to find 220R R3 in his parts set.

Who have own J3s check they give 4-5mA with 150R using the following test circuit. If not any of them do, change your R3 value accordingly.
Attached Images
File Type: png BF256B_Id.png (4.0 KB, 879 views)
Old 8th November 2016, 10:19 AM   #453
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer / Torrid

So i am in for ordering the parts for finishing up my project.

I was thinking of using two of these Torrids for dual DCSTB : http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/da...2x18V_50VA.pdf

I was thinking, that they are good German quality?

Soo about headphone output jack's... what is prefered here ? (XLR / Jack 3.5 / Jack 6.35)
Any good brands (Neutrik perhaps?) Anything elso to consider.

Jesper.

Btw: Salas i just recieved an SMS, that my PI Dac is ready for picking up at local postoffice today Pi-DAC+ I2S audiophile sound card for Raspberry Pi
Old 8th November 2016, 10:43 AM   #454
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Prefer magnetically shielded transformers if you can get.

I had the professional locking Neutrik socket with the release button but I decided against installing it because it puts an additional step to pull out the cans which takes force to press and pull. It can move a medium weight box if you will not hold it down. Its really for live sound stage mix security where people can trip on or pull random cables and you don't want the drummer to go off line in the middle of his solo etc. Neutrik has nice non locking ones too.

I prefer 6.35 since all good cans come with an adapter that takes 3.5 on the back.

Nice with the Pi DAC, seems popular. Let us know if it sounded really better with that.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:52 AM   #455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Prefer magnetically shielded transformers if you can get.
Yes i know... they are too expensive i think... I rather do some shielding on them myself instead (Some cans maybee)?

Let's see what i deside

I will try to set my amp up, here at the end of the week, and do some more listening. -There has only been a couple of hours on it yet as now.

Jesper.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:53 AM   #456
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
diyAudio Member

Jesper,

those Sedlmaier toroids are inexpensive but have no shielding at all (like Salas said), and in a preamp you definitely want that.

Schuro is selling nice toroids with electrostatic and magnetic shield... they actually look very similar to the ones I have custom made at Rondo Müller.

https://www.hifituning24.de/transfor...65va-2x18v.php

They cost double, but its worth it. They should ship to your country as well.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:55 AM   #457
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
diyAudio Member

The shielding has to be made while winding... you cannot just put a hat on it and hope for the best.

In one of my headamps I tried a massive hat made of steel tube with 6mm wall thickness... didn't help that much with an inferior toroid.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:08 AM   #458
diyAudio Chief Moderator

What is 95 Zloty? Something like 22 Euro? I don't know about send costs though.

TTSA0050 - Transformer AUDIO TSA50VA - voltage to 50V - Shop Toroidy.pl
Old 8th November 2016, 11:22 AM   #459
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
The shielding has to be made while winding... you cannot just put a hat on it and hope for the best.

In one of my headamps I tried a massive hat made of steel tube with 6mm wall thickness... didn't help that much with an inferior toroid.
The hat is only cosmetic indeed. Can even be detrimental when ferromagnetic. It just takes a flux band in touch and around the windings to shield. They put that before the plastic film strips wrapping is done. The wires exits still offend and they better be oriented away from circuits and signal runs. Nothing is like an R-Core in the end but this is not a phono stage and a shielded toroid can achieve a decent enough reduction of its original 50Hz magnetic field. Also the split-bobbin frame ones are better than their conventional counterparts. But not greatly so.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:44 AM   #460
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
What is 95 Zloty? Something like 22 Euro? I don't know about send costs though.

TTSA0050 - Transformer AUDIO TSA50VA - voltage to 50V - Shop Toroidy.pl

Two of those is 65Eur incl. shipping Good price...

Quote:
AUDIO grade transformers for use in amplifiers and other high-class audio devices.

Unlike commercial power line transformers, the AUDIO version is covered on the outside with a black Mylar tape which gives it an aesthetic appearance. The epoxy filled center with an opening for the M6 screw eliminates a need for an additional mounting bracket. The neoprene gum pad affixed to the bottom successfully eliminates transmission of vibrations.
The entire construction utilizes high-class, laboratory-tested parts. The core and the windings are impregnated, and the production process is being scrupulously controlled at every step.

Additional magnetic screening and the electric monitor of coated SYN-SHIELD copper tape between windings make the class AUDIO transformers one of the frontrunners in the area of safe use in the systems of electronic power supply.

We guarantee quiet performance and the highest electrical parameters..

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)Hide this!Advertise here!