Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2019, 02:35 PM   #3771
Brakspear75 is offline Brakspear75  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Connect the primary to mains and use a voltmeter to check you've got 18V ac on each of the secondaries. Power off, hook two secondary wires together to give a centre tap, I'd guess one red, one black. Power up & verify 18V from centre tap to either end. Now check voltage from one end to the other - if the secondaries are in phase you'll have 36V, if the voltage is nowhere near that then swap the wires on one secondary only so the opposite colour is tied to form the centre tap. Recheck voltages to confirm 18V from centre to either end & 36V end to end. Done.

Or wait for a reply from someone who's used these transformers already ��
Old 16th April 2019, 02:43 PM   #3772
killie99 is offline killie99
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brakspear, yes that seems the sensible thing to do rather than relying on the bits of sticky tape. Wonder why Toriody don't use different coloured wires like everyone else?
Old 18th April 2019, 10:18 AM   #3773
transcendent is offline transcendent
diyAudio Member

While this is not a digital line level part of the forum, I wanted to ask what DAC's everyone has been using (if using) in combination with DCG3 preamp.

I've read few positive posts about Soekris DAC. Any opinions on it?
Old 18th April 2019, 10:33 AM   #3774
diyAudio Member

So the DCSTB I've bought has the wrong value resistors in locations R1 and R2, 1 ohm resistors are fitted rather than 33.2 ohm Dales (also had some of the transistors in the wrong places but thankfully has never been powered up).
I have some CFR25 Carbon Film 33Ω ±5% 0.33W -1200 → 0ppm/°C, are these suitable to be used instead of the Dales for R1 and R2?
Old 18th April 2019, 11:11 AM   #3775
dewdrop is offline dewdrop  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendent View Post
While this is not a digital line level part of the forum, I wanted to ask what DAC's everyone has been using (if using) in combination with DCG3 preamp.

I've read few positive posts about Soekris DAC. Any opinions on it?

I have a Soekris 1121 playing through the DCG3. All the power supplies are using UBiB v1.3, 7 in total. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 18th April 2019, 11:46 AM   #3776
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
So the DCSTB I've bought has the wrong value resistors in locations R1 and R2, 1 ohm resistors are fitted rather than 33.2 ohm Dales (also had some of the transistors in the wrong places but thankfully has never been powered up).
I have some CFR25 Carbon Film 33Ω ±5% 0.33W -1200 → 0ppm/°C, are these suitable to be used instead of the Dales for R1 and R2?
Uninspiring ppm spec but since that is a constant current position that will bring them to more or less constant working temp you may use them.
Old 18th April 2019, 01:47 PM   #3777
transcendent is offline transcendent
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop View Post
I have a Soekris 1121 playing through the DCG3. All the power supplies are using UBiB v1.3, 7 in total. You won’t be disappointed.
Thanks dewdrop for the feedback ! What did you use for USB to I2S module?
Old 18th April 2019, 10:04 PM   #3778
steefdebruijn is offline steefdebruijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
Thanks Brakspear, yes that seems the sensible thing to do rather than relying on the bits of sticky tape. Wonder why Toriody don't use different coloured wires like everyone else?

With all the trafos I used from them the output wires were always coming out of the trafo in the same “winding order”, so with red1, red2, blue1, blue2 coming out the inner wires red2, blue1 should be the “center tap”. But measure as stated above to be absolutely sure.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:11 AM   #3779
dewdrop is offline dewdrop  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendent View Post
Thanks dewdrop for the feedback ! What did you use for USB to I2S module?

I use a Pi2B for direct I2S connection to the DAM 1121.
Old 20th April 2019, 08:31 AM   #3780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefdebruijn View Post
With all the trafos I used from them the output wires were always coming out of the trafo in the same “winding order”, so with red1, red2, blue1, blue2 coming out the inner wires red2, blue1 should be the “center tap”. But measure as stated above to be absolutely sure.
Yes, that's how they are wired. thanks.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)Hide this!Advertise here!