Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well I'm home but beat, will probably wait until tomorrow unless I get an energy burst. Looking at the neutrik plug, one tab is marked G, ground, other two are tip, and what looks like R1.

These Sennheiser phone's plug isn't the larger 1/4 inch but comes with an adapter, nice heavy one. I inserted it into one of the two plugs I have and figured I would just leave it in there. Then I can just plug the phones in and do not have to be searching for adapter, etc

Two more questions, are we most phones this smaller size plug? Also, I see the tab to "unlock" and remove your adapter, in my case. I assume it is not permanently stuck (which actually would not matter in my case), as I don't think I can get it out without getting pliers after it. So I must be doing something wrong? Once mounted to chassis it might be easier I guess, hard to get a good hold on it.

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Two more questions, are we most phones this smaller size plug? Also, I see the tab to "unlock" and remove your adapter, in my case. I assume it is not permanently stuck (which actually would not matter in my case), as I don't think I can get it out without getting pliers after it. So I must be doing something wrong?
Many factory headphone cables are terminated to minijack with a large size jack adapter attached to it. Sometimes threaded too. So they don't accidentally separate by just pulling the cable. My AKG and my Beyers are also like that. The pro-audio grade chassis socket's lock & release mechanism works like such:

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I got the plug out, it would be easier mounted to chassis. I pressed it against the edge of my work table, and pulled it out.

Being too anxious and inpatient to wait and drill a hole, I wired it "dangling" for a quick listen. Oh no, no sound.....lThen it occurred to me, yes always hot, but you still have to select the "source input" which is the Khadas coming off of my laptop and Amazon prime "HD" whatever that is. Will try turntable next.

Sounds better than phone or laptop>Audioquest Dragonfly or Khadas> HP, which I expected. Now of course i am looking at "racier" headphones. Dead silent with no music. Dead silent.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
2U is high enough to mount the DCG3 main board against a side like seen in some power amplifiers

View attachment 1088243
Are those "semi heatsink" aluminum side panels, like in my DiyStore Galaxy case, 2 inch is enough sink for a standard DCG3?

If so, should the surface be sanded to remove the black coating, or good to go?

Maybe a replan on my compact version. I was shoehorning a heatsink inside there otherwise.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Many factory headphone cables are terminated to minijack with a large size jack adapter attached to it. Sometimes threaded too. So they don't accidentally separate by just pulling the cable. My AKG and my Beyers are also like that. The pro-audio grade chassis socket's lock & release mechanism works like such:

Maybe I should have used the Switchcraft! In the video, she just easily pressed and it let go. I was bent over like a lineman pressing with all my weight before I could begrudgingly pull it out. It was NOT mounted, and it is impossible to get a hold of it not mounted. Basically I just leave it in, I only use it with this only set. I do have a roving eye for them now.

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Are those "semi heatsink" aluminum side panels, like in my DiyStore Galaxy case, 2 inch is enough sink for a standard DCG3?

If so, should the surface be sanded to remove the black coating, or good to go?

Maybe a replan on my compact version. I was shoehorning a heatsink inside there otherwise.

Russellc
Yes, like the Galaxy case. Its quasi sink profile side panel has enough mass and externally exposed area for a standard DCG3. But it does not also offer a wide continuous surface. Has that ribbed look. Although it has kinda wide intervals. Its practical to use an aluminum bar Mosfets mounting interface. Apply thermal grease between it and and the side panel. Liberally.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, like the Galaxy case. Its quasi sink profile side panel has enough mass and externally exposed area for a standard DCG3. But it does not also offer a wide continuous surface. Has that ribbed look. Although it has kinda wide intervals. Easier to use an aluminum bar Mosfets mounting interface first. Apply thermal grease between it and and the side panel. Liberally.
I will have to relook, seems like I remember the "pattern" on those semi heat sink sides is different on each side, one having a wider band in the middle, other side regular pattern. I'm looking at one now, the side I have external (different preamp, same galaxy box) is the one I would use, stand offs would have to accommodate the height adjustment.

My current DCG3 is in a rather large box for preamp, and it does not have the semi heatsink side panels, but plenty of room for heatsinks.

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe I should have used the Switchcraft! In the video, she just easily pressed and it let go. I was bent over like a lineman pressing with all my weight before I could begrudgingly pull it out. It was NOT mounted, and it is impossible to get a hold of it not mounted. Basically I just leave it in, I only use it with this only set. I do have a roving eye for them now.

Russellc
I found one in a parts bin and I tried. True pain to disengage when not mounted on a chassis indeed. But then I thought to press the red lever against the socket's rim with pliers and pull the adapter. It released flying across the room. LOL. Yes the Switchcraft version looks more humain.

Attachments

• PITA Jack.jpg
    PITA Jack.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 65
Joined 2017
Paid Member
here's an image-file (png) of the galaxy's CAD files (courtesy of Modushop, hoping Gian-Luca does not mind)...
The panels can be mounted with the pattern looking inwards or outwards, me having always mounted them inwards.
I'm waiting for the toroids, and have the time to contemplate my layout :)

Attachments

• 288,283completo.png
    288,283completo.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi All,

Just now contemplating starting this project after getting boards and transistors from Tea long time ago. I see references to an Excel BOM but I cannot find it anywhere. Could someone repost or point me?

I'm looking for DCG3, DCSTB, and InSelect if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Teabag has a number of articles on them, I would suggest contacting him/salas about the group buy and get the kit, all the bits you need included. For In Select, DCG3 and DCSTB. The aforementioned articles have BOM and fireup instructions. Again, get the kit. I've built several Inselect units, and build the DCG3. One of the best preamps ever!

Russellc