Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2018, 09:34 PM   #3161
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

Yes, I'll try that. A redemption for not going the BC327-40 route.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:46 PM   #3162
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hmm, different stuff. One is playing with the system's rise time/sharpness the other with the OLG figure and its width of shape due to different Cob, Rbb'. Also the two BJT types have different self noise. It can have an impact on the bass resolution too. The trick is to have a couple of alternatives to can unlock your installation's potential. Of course when it already performs in a system's context just let it sing. You know its not easy to give alternatives in a circuit like this one, fast things demand to be exact, but I tried to leave a couple of windows open because we are diyers and we love to tweak.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:54 PM   #3163
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

I would say we diyers live to tweak! But I quit the idea to get myself a desoldering station and a transistor tester since last year I built two amps with the money I was saving for an oscilloscope...
Old 30th September 2018, 07:21 PM   #3164
1108 is offline 1108  United States
diyAudio Member

Default And then there was smoke

So on the DCSTB I had reversed the polarity of both DB3 and DB4 diodes. Didnít realize this until I plugged it in and very quickly C1 let out it smoke.

I replaced C1 and both diodes but the LED doesnít light. What else might I have smoked? Any suggestions on what to check next would be appreciated.
Old 30th September 2018, 07:29 PM   #3165
diyAudio Chief Moderator

First check for raw DC voltages between fuses (C2 C4 side) and zero (gnd). Are there almost +/-25V DC? If nothing, the fuses blew.
Old 1st October 2018, 04:19 PM   #3166
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Having listened to my now Ultrbib powered DCG3 for several hours over the past week I have to agree with others comments that this p/s is a step up in sound quality. The DCG3 and DCSTB work really well together but somehow there seems to be more space and definition around and to instruments with the Ultrabib. There can't be that many wow moments left surely.
You've done it again Nick thank you
Old 1st October 2018, 04:37 PM   #3167
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You are welcome. Dual mono UltraBiB owe to be better considering the shunt power waste and double board effort, but the DCSTB also proves its efficiency and value by being no slouch in that contest.
Old 1st October 2018, 06:12 PM   #3168
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marra View Post
Having listened to my now Ultrbib powered DCG3 for several hours over the past week I have to agree with others comments that this p/s is a step up in sound quality. The DCG3 and DCSTB work really well together but somehow there seems to be more space and definition around and to instruments with the Ultrabib. There can't be that many wow moments left surely.
You've done it again Nick thank you

Thanks for your impressions and for describing the heatsinks used in an earlier post. Besides space and definition have any of the other sterling attributes of the DCG3/DCSTB combo been improved upon or diminished somewhat. Did you use the 327's in the mirror in this build and for comparison the previous one? I wasnt aware of any other builders who have tried the UltraBiib's/DCG3 as you are mentioning. Who?

I am using the Diotec 327's in my balanced build since around April of the year and the overall tonality and presentation is stunning. A step up from the 560c.

nash
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:21 PM   #3169
1108 is offline 1108  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
First check for raw DC voltages between fuses (C2 C4 side) and zero (gnd). Are there almost +/-25V DC? If nothing, the fuses blew.

It was the fuses. I had checked them visually and they didn't show any signs of being blown.

Thanks for your help.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:43 AM   #3170
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas
I am going to add a balance control. I was thinking like this ESP - A Better Volume Control using a 20k log for volume and a 100k linear for balance as in #5 on this page

How would this affect performance?
Thanks
Andrew

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)Hide this!Advertise here!