Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks, I will proceed with wiring to power supply, where I was when this started. Apparently the mixing of the secondary leads caused this,
of course I have not remounted the transformers to the chassis, but they are like I've done on many before. I guess I should remount them
and give a go. If problematic I will mount them up on end like they sit!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
One other question I have is about the power supply and how it is wired to the plug. Most of my builds here on DIYaudio have been on the Pass forum, and I notice a difference in the way the power switch and fuse are configured with relation to the electrical plugs pattern here (USA).

Hmmm, just noticed I am comparing the "RAW" power supply schematic and the Pass schematic, not the power supply for the DCG3, but doesnt matter for this question. Both diagrams show the "plug" a circle with a short and a long blade. On most of the Pass power supply circuits I have built have the switch and the fuse coming from the shorter blade, whereas the RAW shows switch and fuse coming from the longer blade.

maybe this makes no difference here, but I noticed that. I usually use the Neutrik power con for the power cord connection, so pay attention to that orientation when attaching the power cord. If this connection makes a difference, I will need to address that with the power cord, right, or no? If so, which way for DCG3?

Thanks again,

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I didnt think of it as arbitrary, the Gound of the cord goes to chassis, so I just incorrectly assumed...
The transformer isolates secondary from primary. The energy is transferred through a field. It enables power transfer between two circuits that must not be connected. So it protects the device and you from the power grid's high energy. Thus the protective earth can not be a ground reference to a floating secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks, I will proceed with wiring to power supply, where I was when this started. Apparently the mixing of the secondary leads caused this,
of course I have not remounted the transformers to the chassis, but they are like I've done on many before. I guess I should remount them
and give a go. If problematic I will mount them up on end like they sit!

Russellc
They should work fine this time. Most likely.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One other question I have is about the power supply and how it is wired to the plug. Most of my builds here on DIYaudio have been on the Pass forum, and I notice a difference in the way the power switch and fuse are configured with relation to the electrical plugs pattern here (USA).

Hmmm, just noticed I am comparing the "RAW" power supply schematic and the Pass schematic, not the power supply for the DCG3, but doesnt matter for this question. Both diagrams show the "plug" a circle with a short and a long blade. On most of the Pass power supply circuits I have built have the switch and the fuse coming from the shorter blade, whereas the RAW shows switch and fuse coming from the longer blade.

maybe this makes no difference here, but I noticed that. I usually use the Neutrik power con for the power cord connection, so pay attention to that orientation when attaching the power cord. If this connection makes a difference, I will need to address that with the power cord, right, or no? If so, which way for DCG3?

Thanks again,

Russellc
RAW supply schematic from the UFSP Phono I assume. Its just a wall plug symbol from the CAD program I used. I did not orient it in a purposeful way.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have been searching through the thread without luck, seems I remember someone suggesting, or fixing a noise problem depending on how the I-select is wired for power. I had anticipated taking A/C from that side of power supply, so I installed the diodes required on I-select. Is there a reason to cut those from board and bring power from D/C side? Still looking for that thread. Seems like someone had a noise problem that required that change?

Almost ready for initial fire up. The preamp in and volume control are not yet wired to board or I-select yet. Will fire it up and fiddle with offset, then add 8 leg part, etc. I need to quickly go over the guide for fire up. Can't wait to give this a listen.

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't take AC, don't uninstall diodes. Take DC from there:

Attachments

• DCSTB_Raw_Tap_Sch.png
    DCSTB_Raw_Tap_Sch.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 1 user