Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
BF245 2N5457. Must all be arranged for about 5mA Id in circuit.

2N5457 can replace PF5102? Correct?
Maybe 2N5458 has the better ID range? What am I missing.

Attachments

• PF5102 Replacement.PNG
    PF5102 Replacement.PNG
    104 KB · Views: 372
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Safer and cheaper than 2N5458. BF256B is 30V rated and raw DC with 18VAC Tx can reach about 25V or little more across those. Just before the three 100uF Vref filter caps across the LEDS charge enough. Very briefly though.

You will need about 150-200 Ohm bringing it down to 4-5mA instead of 33R R1,R2 for the PF5102 in the DCSTB. PF5102 or 2N5458 still have lower Vgs (OFF) and possibly little lower noise but BF256B is faster because it has less pF than those two.

*Remember: PF5102 pins are DSG when BF256B pins are GSD. So you have to reverse orientation.

Hi Salas,

Is it possible to increase the DCG3 gain beyond 4x. I am using my DCG3 with a UFSP* phono stage and could really do with squeezing a bit more gain into the power-amp (F5)

* You will have seen my posts on the UFSP thread, but thought i should ask about the DCG3 here.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

Is it possible to increase the DCG3 gain beyond 4x. I am using my DCG3 with a UFSP* phono stage and could really do with squeezing a bit more gain into the power-amp (F5)

* You will have seen my posts on the UFSP thread, but thought i should ask about the DCG3 here.

Of course, it has also been done before by one or two members.

Hi Salas,

Thank you. Sorry for such thick lacquer on top. I used a ton of flux and need to wash it today.

By advice from close friend of mine, I have new Focal Clear in my possession for test. It is by far the most attractive sound that I ever experienced with. DCG3 is singing with it. If budget is allowing (they are quite expensive piece), then it is go-go-go one.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

Thank you. Sorry for such thick lacquer on top. I used a ton of flux and need to wash it today.

By advice from close friend of mine, I have new Focal Clear in my possession for test. It is by far the most attractive sound that I ever experienced with. DCG3 is singing with it. If budget is allowing (they are quite expensive piece), then it is go-go-go one.

Nice to know you like the combination. Good to share such info for cans and DCG3, not everybody has the opportunity to audition, especially for high price models like the Clears.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
From what I can find people have changed R6 to 2.2k to give a gain of 5.4. Is that as far as the gain can go?

That's almost 5.1 dB higher than the standard gain, subjectively two thirds of the way to "twice as loud" so it should be a good option.
It can go as high as you like but you exchange feedback for gain in the process allowing bit more THD and you also make the feedback network's impedance higher i.e. little noisier, so better be conservative. Find the gain you really need and set no more for reserve.
BTW sensitive headphones will feel loud earlier on the volume knob if you use such cans.