Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2017, 11:59 PM   #2101
dbis is offline dbis  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas, yeah that's what I was afraid of with a more powerful transformer. So, maybe I'll try the Hammonds. Thanks for your help and thanks for the design. I've got your FS phono preamp lined up after this!
Old 7th September 2017, 01:15 AM   #2102
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

In the case of 50VA and 100VA Anteks their difference is mainly in height so the bigger ones don't take much more chassis floor estate. But going for 2x200VA double mono... no, too much.
Old 7th September 2017, 03:04 AM   #2103
drpro is offline drpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Back in post 2054, I had broken a drill bit in the hole for the 1/4" headphone jack. Thought I would just buy a new front. Instead enlarged the hole to about 50mm, which removed the broken drill bit hole and added a 4mm piece of brass to the mount the jack. Problem solved.
Now to enjoy!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCG3_2.jpg (383.4 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg DCG3_3.jpg (523.9 KB, 497 views)
Old 7th September 2017, 03:47 AM   #2104
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nice result dpro.
Old 7th September 2017, 04:44 AM   #2105
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Nice brass patch idea. How is the thinksound headphone doing on this amp? Is it the On1 or the On2 by the way?
Old 7th September 2017, 01:29 PM   #2106
drpro is offline drpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas. I have come to really like the sound of the Thinksound headphones. These are On2 bought through a Massdrop purchase.
-David
Old 7th September 2017, 04:15 PM   #2107
diyAudio Chief Moderator

For on ear type I have kept two old models. Grado SR60 and Sennheiser HD40. Mainly to can test 32 Ohm and 600 Ohm loading because I don't like the feeling of headphones sitting on the ear for too long. They usually don't achieve a wide image too compared to over ear ones. When it comes to travel the on ear type is small and light though, very adequate. Remember the massively popular Koss Portasound of yore? Still in production for those reasons and a good balance on the cheap. The Thinksound looks much more advanced and well made though. At Massdrop price a bargain. Although Massdrop's best bargain in absolute terms should have been their HD6xx runs (custom color Sennheiser HD650).
Old 7th September 2017, 04:28 PM   #2108
diyAudio Chief Moderator

By the way how's the image of the On2 when on the DCG3? I have noticed that my on ear 'phones sounded wider on it than when directly fed from the DAC's headphone output.
Old 7th September 2017, 06:19 PM   #2109
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tea-Bag, you have mail regarding my missing PCB. Thanks
SB
Old 12th September 2017, 01:57 PM   #2110
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marra View Post
I like that
Got a DT 150 for my collection meantime. Has fleshy tone, has clarity, has definition, has depth, has defined instruments positions. Does not push back the vocals like many closed back cans unfortunately do, and it has sufficient stage size while many closed backs don't. Does bass but does not do much sub bass, has great HF extension but not super fine treble texture. Does not have modern looks, has vintage pro looks. Has roomy pads and light weight. Its built to last and to easily service. Made in Germany.

The cable is detachable with a proprietary flat connector. The right channel phone has six female pins and it attaches there. There's a metal threaded insert on the cup for securing the connector with a provided screw through an eyelet on it. The three meter cable ends in a mini jack with a quarter inch jack screw on adapter.

Two of the pins should be for an optional microphone because they showed nothing on the DMM but the remaining four pins on the cup showed separate ground return connections between drivers in the continuity rest.

A unique looking and sounding phone in the mid-low price closed back category. Excellent value IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170912_135650.jpg (601.3 KB, 349 views)

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)Hide this!Advertise here!