Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

As I want to test the BC327-40 (550 hFe) I found in my drawer (From an old paradise batch)... but as my BC560C sounds so good now, I decided to build another one... so the questions are coming up...

I have some uPA68H with 10mA Idss... should I set a BF256 CCS with 10mA so to bias the jfets at near Idss ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Another test. All mosfet screws removed. Now both channels down to nearly 0mv.....

But without shorting the input ..do I have the correct assumption of this? ! Shorting is putting a jumper wire between +/- inputs. Because without that I seem to get nice low DC offset.

I'm buying some Nylon M3 screws. No idea how it's finding it's way around the silpad and grommet.!

Prefer your non input shorted best trimming result, then install the servo chip. But achieve your best insulation first.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just reporting back on my problem channel.

To recap both channels give 120mA measured current through the DN2540 CCS. Both channels give 5.1mA through the BF256 CCS.

The channel that also supplies the relay works fine with an offset on the output of about 20mV (without the AD823).

The other channel has an offset of 16.7V!!

I removed both BC560C's and tested them and the transistor tester said they were ok. However, I still changed them for BC327-40 with matched hfe.

I removed both the IRF9610's. Again both tested good in the transistor tester.

I replaced them anyway and then retested and I still get an offset of 16.7V. I am now at a complete loss.

Is there anything else I should check, test or change?

Thanks
Ian

There is a voltage divider (R8 R9) that sets M2's gate voltage. Are those resistor values correct?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

As I want to test the BC327-40 (550 hFe) I found in my drawer (From an old paradise batch)... but as my BC560C sounds so good now, I decided to build another one... so the questions are coming up...

I have some uPA68H with 10mA Idss... should I set a BF256 CCS with 10mA so to bias the jfets at near Idss ?

You don't want elevated J3 dissipation for reliability, also not its inferior CCS stability when with much less degeneration resistor value & higher temp, even not to add higher current noise through the mirror's TO-92s. I had found the standard bias point very nice for overall measurements during the development anyway.

@trancendent

Hmm difficult to guess fakes from listings without sampling them and measuring against reference uUPA68h first. Matched IDSS 2SK170 are also compatible in this design and sound great. There is a verified German source that sells matched quads. Those can serve for two channels when used as two pairs.

2SK170 2SK170GR Toshiba matched Quad | eBay

Hello Salas,

All good with the DCG3, but this post just got me wondering how subjectively the sound would be different with 2SK170 instead of UPA68h?
Anybody else using 2SK170 please comment?
Thanks.
nash

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
They bring down the THD even more due to higher gm (thus more feedback is created) but they tilt the technical benefit towards the lows and mids due to they are slower because of their higher internal pF. With the uPA a THD sweep across frequency is more even. I have a friend who swears by them but I haven't listened to his build after he substituted with those. I had only measured their traits in DCG3 during development. Try them if you got some to morph your own subjective opinion.

Hi I checked the voltage on the potential divider R8/R9, the good channel was 4.3V the bad was 4.27V so I would think that was ok.

What I did find was that despite both BF256 CCS's both giving 5mA. There was a huge difference in the voltage measured on the drain. The good channel had 212mV the bad channel had 8.68V. Both voltages measure relative to 0V. I presume there is something very wrong there. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

They bring down the THD even more due to higher gm (thus more feedback is created) but they tilt the technical benefit towards the lows and mids due to they are slower because of their higher internal pF. With the uPA a THD sweep across frequency is more even. I have a friend who swears by them but I haven't listened to his build after he substituted with those. I had only measured their traits in DCG3 during development. Try them if you got some to morph your own subjective opinion.

Thanks Salas. I very well might try them. What do you feel is ideal Idss to get? I am using the Diotec BC 327 in the mirrors.
nash

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi I checked the voltage on the potential divider R8/R9, the good channel was 4.3V the bad was 4.27V so I would think that was ok.

What I did find was that despite both BF256 CCS's both giving 5mA. There was a huge difference in the voltage measured on the drain. The good channel had 212mV the bad channel had 8.68V. Both voltages measure relative to 0V. I presume there is something very wrong there. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

In your shoes I would now measure each semiconductor's leg DC voltage in respect to earth and write them down vs the good channel's readings. Then I would replace what semi I haven't yet replaced which is showing weird voltages around it. Along that, I would also scan for possible traps like some unlikely insulation leakage on the Mosfets assembly, an oddly wrong resistor value installed somewhere, anything.

Also important is to thoroughly clean possible flux residue everywhere but mainly around the Jfet & Mosfet legs (gate legs especially). Leakage through dirt and/or baked flux for high impedance nodes can bring about very strange effects.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What should be the higher Idss possible to use for upa68h ?

Any. It will be brought down to 2.5mA on its yfs vs ids curve by the tail ccs bias system. Down low they all have almost same transcoductance result. You just need samples with Idss >3mA. That way most of them become useful, no waste. Its good to have relatively alike idss between channels so they become even more matched down low in their curves when applied but its not a make or break deal term.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Salas. I very well might try them. What do you feel is ideal Idss to get? I am using the Diotec BC 327 in the mirrors.
nash

Same case as in the reply above for uPA but within each channel's pair there should be Idss match. Even better is curves match for those having curve tracer test gear. The uPA is a super matched monolithic following that condition by default. The K170s are individuals and need pair matching in a differential pair as used in this circuit. When uPA is a curve matched pair side by side in each channel no matter the idss reading as a package per sample.

Same case as in the reply above for uPA but within each channel's pair there should be Idss match. Even better is curves match for those having curve tracer test gear. The uPA is a super matched monolithic following that condition by default. The K170s are individuals and need pair matching in a differential pair as used in this circuit. When uPA is a curve matched pair side by side in each channel no matter the idss reading as a package per sample.

Thanks.