Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My Audio Technica ATH-R70x cans run at 470ohms. Do I want a higher bias setting? My Teabag kit allows for 7.5r or 12r for r10
For those cans no. If you will see that the heat exchange in your build is adequate for higher bias though, implement it. To have reserve in general for any low impedance cans that may fall in your hands. Or friends may have and wanna try.

One builder said he felt better sound with more current from the line output too when he compared low & high bias modes but its not established by more who may not heard a difference or simply they have not bothered to compare. It does not present objective benefits in THD measurements when on higher than 60Ω loads for conservative voltage swings though.

I have a question regarding grounding.

I have mains earth connected to chassis.

I am using dual mono DCSTB PSUs, tested and functioning correctly.

The build guide says "if using double mono PSUs connect each channel's +/0/- to each PSU separately. Mains earth the chassis and wire a connection from any input or output ground point to chassis also"

Does this mean that the only ground connection to the DCG3 is via signal (audio ground) to chassis at one point?

There is no PSU connection to ground that I need to wire?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All those ground points are a wide lane running across the top layer's front. The PSU returns connect on that same lane too. So for referencing the chassis to them does not make much difference from what point to wire exactly. There are two spare blind ground pads also at the bottom layer under each HP G point if you want to try wire from one there. So to hide that wire better. Use a relatively short cable to the nearest mounting screw.

Basically all RCA pairs have there ground connections soldered together and then a wire soldered across these which is then connected to chassis ground.

I cannot seem to attach pics as they are to big and am unsure how to resize them.

If you are Windows user, then go to Start/Paint. In Paint menu go to Resize. You will have Percentage or Pixels for your chose. Forum excepts 1600x1200 max.

Thanks for chiming in guys.

I connected input and output grounds at PCB and tied all RCA grounds together, one wire to chassis from PCB.

All seems to work, DC offset very low (0.2mv).

Is it normal for the bias current on each side to differ? Voltage drop across R10 is different on each side and there's a difference of about 2ma between sides.

I hooked it up and it works and is making music (no ground issues thus far), first impressions are very good!