Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Transistor Preamp
Transistor Preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2016, 12:41 PM   #41
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Transistor Preamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
If you turn Bongiorno's preamp upside down, and power it from +30V instead of -43V, you get something similar to the NS-10 preamp that Nelson Pass designed for Threshold in the late 70s.
The Threshold NS-10's product name came from the amazing fact that its signal propagation delay, from preamp input to preamp output, was ten nanoseconds: NS-10. So I thought, why not fire up the simulator and try it on the Bongiorno/NS-10 circuit in post #29? Let's measure its input-to-output prop delay.

The simulator's answer is: 9.32 nanoseconds (blue highlighted text). Well done chaps.

(you can make it faster still by decreasing the compensation capacitor C3; I've set it at 15pF which gives zero dB of gain-peaking. If you're comfortable with, oh let's just say, +2dB of gain peaking, reduce C3 and get higher bandwidth and lower propagation delay.)

_
Attached Images
File Type: png ns10.png (34.0 KB, 679 views)

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 3rd September 2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 3rd September 2016, 12:55 PM   #42
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Transistor Preamp
The Apex preamp isn't too complicated, you could make up a layout on strip-board. A good preamp also needs a clean supply although the Apex design does look like it would have good PSRR.

If you really want something simple, with less DIY element, then look to eBay. For example: Preamp 9 Single Ended Pure Class A 20Hz 20kHz Transistor Preamplifier Board | eBay
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd September 2016, 03:42 PM   #43
Jrp27 is offline Jrp27  India
diyAudio Member

My power amp when connected directly to an ipod works fine . However the amp sounds distorted/ metallic even ipod is turned full.

Do i am assuming a small 2-4db gain preamp should do. Idea is that the amp should reach its full capacity when ipod volume is at 50%.

Wouldn't mind the controls too. Any suggestions.
Old 3rd September 2016, 05:50 PM   #44
Mosquito is offline Mosquito  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
(you can make it faster still by decreasing the compensation capacitor C3; I've set it at 15pF which gives zero dB of gain-peaking. If you're comfortable with, oh let's just say, +2dB of gain peaking, reduce C3 and get higher bandwidth and lower propagation delay.)
Hi,
I simulated this nice circuit, and LTSpice said it can put 4V pk pk over a 10K load even at 250Khz, with minimum distortion.
Nevertheless, using exactly the same models as You (Cordell), I can t get away with less than 27p for C3, or there is gain peaking (+2dB with 15p).
Old 3rd September 2016, 08:18 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Transistor Preamp
Yes Mosquito you're right! At the last minute I increased the first stage's bias current to 300uA but forgot to also resize C3. Oops.

C3=15pF is sized for a 200uA first stage. To see that 15pF does indeed give 0dB of gain-peaking in that case, simulate with
  • R4 = 3K (first stage collector load resistor)
  • R6 = 75K (first stage emitter bias resitor)
  • R5 = R7 = 680R (feedback gain setting resistors)
You win the eagle-eyed reader award. Congratulations!

I think you'll probably decide you prefer the 300uA design with resized C3.
Old 3rd September 2016, 08:33 PM   #46
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Transistor Preamp
Can I get 12 dB out of this circuit?
Old 3rd September 2016, 09:00 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Transistor Preamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Can I get 12 dB out of this circuit?
James Bongiorno did (in 1972). Nelson Pass did (in 1977).

But today, I'd suggest you buy an LM7171 for $2.81 and do it that way instead: (link). Unless you agree with the statements
I really want a transistor based preamp. I just like the warm fuzzy sound. Chips sound shrill imho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg specs.jpg (77.6 KB, 652 views)
Old 3rd September 2016, 09:18 PM   #48
Mosquito is offline Mosquito  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think you'll probably decide you prefer the 300uA design with resized C3.
Indeed.
As for the chip, sure it can outperform the diy efforts, but are also 0 fun, as are the chip amps. Build a thingy that works correctly, and sometimes is top performer, out of discrete components, is a source of inmense satisfaction, imho...
Cheers
J.
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:44 PM   #49
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Transistor Preamp
I might give this a go on my veroboard and see how it sounds. To get 10dB what R values should I change and anything else such as compensation caps?
Old 4th September 2016, 02:27 AM   #50
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Transistor Preamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp27 View Post
My power amp when connected directly to an ipod works fine . However the amp sounds distorted/ metallic even ipod is turned full.

Do i am assuming a small 2-4db gain preamp should do. Idea is that the amp should reach its full capacity when ipod volume is at 50%.

Wouldn't mind the controls too. Any suggestions.
You are assuming that the ipod output distorts when running at full volume due to a limitation in the ipod. OK - do you know, but trying a different music source, if the amplifier still sounds clean at these high volumes to at least eliminate the possibility that the problem is with your amplifier and not the ipod ? could it be that you are listening to MP3 lossy-compression which will tend to show it's warts when played louder ? are you putting a big load on the ipod output but having a long cable and/or your amplifier has a relatively low input impedance ?

For 3dB of gain, it really is likely that you can adjust a couple of resistors in the feedback network of your amplifier and avoid a pre-amp altogether.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Transistor PreampHide this!Advertise here!